Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New shooter, K frame?

earplug

My son enjoys some shooting, he is cursed with my eyes and does better with a red dot scope. He is seven years old and wears glasses.

I shoot a lot of steel matches during the spring and summer and i'm thinking about mounting a red dot scope on a S&W M-65 I have, and letting him use it for our informal steel shoots and fifty foot bullsye practice.

He enjoys shooting my 625 off of a rest, my 8-3/8 M-14 is not as much fun. Weight and balance issues.

Anyone see any problems with this combination? I can reduce the the DA pull to 6.5 lbs. Planning to use cast 150 grain rn.

earplug, many years ago B Square used to make a mount that used the exisitng hole that were there for the adjustable sights. I imagine that the 65 has adjustable sights. (I am not up on the S&W models as I should be) If not you could get some weaver mounts and drill and tap the top strap and mount to fit. Which is better in my mind as it get the dot lower to the bore, I had shot a model 10 that had been modified for the mount for many years until I made the leap to an 8 shot. ( more like a crawl over than a leap). A good gunsmith should be able to do so. The gunsmith from where I was had uncut weaver mounts that he would do all the stuff to and mount them on revos. I still have 2 model 10's somewhere around here. Good luck and get the kid hooked early. :cheers: later rd

Easy mount is a Ruger 10-22 weaver mount. It sits real close to the bore.

Most gunsmiths will charge $ 10 to $20 a hole to drill it and you are all set. Back about 30 years ago it was THE way to mount a scope on out model 10s.

The newer mounts look better but don't work any better.

OK, I'm gonna go ahead and say what a bunch of us are probably thinking--a 7-year-old is awfully young to be handling and shooting handguns. I'm a big advocate of getting kids involved in the shooting sports, and have gone through the process myself as a parent/coach, but I really think 10 or 11 is about the minimum age I would be comfortable with for handguns. When you talk about handing a loaded handgun to a 7-year-old, that horrific incident involving an 8-year-old boy at the shooting club in Massachusetts keeps coming up in my mind. I'd suggest something more like a small single-shot .22 rifle and have him shoot targets off a bench rest with nobody else around, for at least a couple more years.

My squad all saw the business end of a youngster's blaster last month. Not cool. He was maybe 13-14. I've seen other kids that age that were OK though.

Holsters and movement are a big step! Please be careful.

I've ROed lots of 9- and 10-year-olds and I have to confess to not having been as comfortable as I'd like to be.

Still, outside of the after-the-buzzer climate, kids shooting is important.

However, the supervision during a match run isn't up to the same level as just plinking.

In fact, I single-load very young shooters at the earliest stages. The second round can never head over the berm, then.

That all said, for young shooters, or any new small-handed shooter, the Colt D-frame is the best choice, if one is available. A Police Positive Special, the same as a Detective Special but with a 4" barrel, is light and easy to shoot. It's heavy-barreled, target-sighted sibling, the otherwise identical Diamondback, is ideal.

The ergos are the best for small hands, given decent stocks (yes, Colt stocks are usually useless), and the trigger reach is short.

Don't underestimate the problem overall weight can pose for the smaller shooter, since holding up a 35 ounce iron at arm's length during a high-stress time like learning to shoot can tire arms out quickly.

My .38 Diamondback gets considerable use on newbie days- at the last Women on Target event I worked, it was the most-in-demand gun at our station.

Incidentally, I use a J-frame six-shot four-inch Kit Gun for basic training startoffs with .22s, since I don't have a .22 PPS or Diamondback.

(And yes, the K-frame Model 19 is my favorite Smith.)

I can drill and tap the holes for the scope mount, He has been shooting a 22 Kit gun for a year now. Thats good information on the 10/22 scope rail.

I agree that movement and with firearms can get dangerous. Were in no hurry, just getting the basics down and hope to learn from others experience.