Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a load for 38 Super in a Mech Tech

Scout454

That's because any general .38 Super load is going to work.... Any load that makes major for pistol should make minor in your Mech Tech ;)

Dave,

Gotta be below 1500fps. Mech Tech claims a 300fps increase over a 5" barrel and all of my open loads run 1400 to 1500 fps from a shorty. There's 1/4" of ice on top of several inches of snow and it's too cold to set the chrono up.

Mike

Dan Bedell told me to try 8gr of 3N37 over a 125gr bullet in my Open gun and that it should make major plus a little. So, if you dropped that down to something like 7gr it ought to keep you under 1500fps.

When I get home I have some data written down for all or most of powders. I got most of it searching what folks here listed. You can also check what folks sent to Jeff Maas. It's a couple of years old, but that data should still be fine....it's always been close for me.

http://www.k8nd.com/ipscload.htm

There's 1/4" of ice on top of several inches of snow and it's too cold to set the chrono up.

And you're hoping that any load that you find on the forum anything is going to get you what you want, then? ;) Sounds like you're clearly in "book load" territory, if you need to stay below 1200 fps from a 5" barrel. Basically, any starting load in the manuals I just looked at will get you where you need to be, and will be just as viable as anything you'd find on the forum anyway... Well, except for N105... that'll put you in the 1700 fps range! :surprise:

Stay with a mild steel load, anything hotter comes out way to fast.

I shoot 4.6 of 7625 in my 9mm Mech Tech (about 135 pf from my G17 with 124gr FMJ), I would start around 4.5, should work OK.

Edited by herky