Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is a good C.O.L for 9mm berrys bullets 124gr rn

Shawn

I am a newbie here. I am going to reload some Berrys bullets 124 gr rn and was wondering what is an acceptable C.O.L when reloading. Ive had a wide range for using similar other bullets but am not sure where to find the correct sizing chart. I want to use Win 231. The other thing is Im going to shoot it through a Springfield Arms 9mm xdm.

So if anyone knows what the C.O.L should be so I dont damage it or have lame powder charge. Id like to know your thoughts.

I am a newbie here. I am going to reload some Berrys bullets 124 gr rn and was wondering what is an acceptable C.O.L when reloading. Ive had a wide range for using similar other bullets but am not sure where to find the correct sizing chart. I want to use Win 231. The other thing is Im going to shoot it through a Springfield Arms 9mm xdm.

So if anyone knows what the C.O.L should be so I dont damage it or have lame powder charge. Id like to know your thoughts.

Consider loading them as long as the magazine and the chamber will permit. Loaded long tends to feed more reliably.

I shoot 9 Major in an STI using 124 gr MG JHP. All are loaded to 1.195" with no problems. When you do load that long not a lot of the bullet is inside the brass so you need to make sure your crimp is holding the bullet in place.

I do not have a XDM so I do not know the max OAL that will fit their mags, but load up some dummy loads (no powder + no primer) and slowly decrease the OAL until you can completely fill the mag and the gun will chamber each bullet. Once they are feeding nicely out of the magazine, note if the rounds are "sticking" in the barrel or they fail to fully go into battery. If they fail to chamber, the bullet may be hitting the throating on the barrel. The throating is the slight tapered area just forward of the chamber that give the bullet a little room before it hits the rifling.

As for those dummy rounds, keep them far away from your loaded ammo and use them in dry fire practice.

Hope this helps.

Bill

The Hodgdon website should have what you are looking for.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Yeah this info helps alot. My books say a C.OL is between 1.12-1.13 tested and a max 1.16. Its just nice to know what needs to be done to get a consistent load made. I am going to make a few dummy rounds at max to mid length and see how they feed.

The hodgon site was helpful has the bullet I am reloading.

Thanks you

Shawn

If it helps any, I use 124g RN's loaded at 1.145 in my XD, M&P, P6, 92F, and Cougar. It fits very well in all my mags and chambers well in everything.

Thanks all. Yeah I used the charts on loading and have been tweaking it a little. The XDM had no problem with 1.145-1.20 or a hair short there. I loaded 200 rounds at 1.14 and no problems hit the mark. Unfortunatly I had the flat seater in and smashed a few RN bullets to flat. ooops. Learning curve.

I think when you load short it hangs up and thats what happened last time. Again thanks everyone. I have 1000 new rounds to plink now...

Shawn

For an XD or Glock, loading long doesn't really affect reliabiltiy the way it does with single-stack 1911/2011 mags. The gun realyl doesn't care.

My loads currently are 1.130 ... I was loading at 1.145 but decided to experiment. My groups are smaller through my G34 with a 1.130" OAL than with 1.145". I don't know why

Everything from min SAAMI (1.110") to max SAAMI (1.169") has fed perfectly. I used to shoot a lot of Remington UMC before I started loading, and it's very close to the short spec.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 4 years later...

hi

both my wife and I shoot the same recipe , me from my 9mm XDm and her from her 9mm G19 and I use Berry's or Rainier 124 gr over 4.6 grs of Win 231 using CCI 500 primers and oal of 1.16 and we get very pleasing groups in both our guns....found longer is better

hi

both my wife and I shoot the same recipe , me from my 9mm XDm and her from her 9mm G19 and I use Berry's or Rainier 124 gr over 4.6 grs of Win 231 using CCI 500 primers and oal of 1.16 and we get very pleasing groups in both our guns....found longer is better

Apparently you didn't notice that this thread is 4 years old. Please don't revive old threads.