Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's wrong with CED?

I just went to check some ammo and am getting very strange numbers. I am shooting 40 ammo that should be around 925-950fps and it is coming in at 3030- 4020. The muzzle is 8' from first screen. I have the infrared screens. I checked the distance between screen setting. Anyone have any ideas or is the chrono shot? :angry2:

If you had the old problem of too close to the screens you would get a -Low- # not a high #

If it was set to 2.4 yards for what you tell the crono but the screens are 24" the math works out about rite. That would almost be 3x :wacko: Or you set it too close to your beer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I had a similar problem with my M1 a month ago. I was chrono'ing late in the day and the sun was a little behind me. Apparently it was giving the chrono fits, even with the infared screens. A friend had this happend before and suggested putting the chrono in the shade, which cured the problem. Now I understand why they always put the chrono's in a box at big matches!

My CED doesn't like the IR screens outdoors. I use it predominantly in a indoor range and have them turn off most of the lights when I use it. That gives me the most accurate results.

Its WANKY outdoors with the IRs.

I sent the unit back to CED and it checked out OK. I am using it indoors and the suggestion that seemed to fix the problem was to put something, I used a target with a hole cut in it, before the first screen. I have had all good readings since I did this. :cheers:

Yes, I checked all the info per the directions. My stepdaughter is doing a science project about temp on powerfactor and this is a pain.

Make sure you have a very temp sensitive powder!! 7625 is know to be temp sensitive, but I had to get it up to 150deg before I could see a signal, and then it was only 2pf. Large sample sizes might help, but there is a lot of noise, and the signal to noise ratio is tight between 32 and 100 deg F.