Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WW Auto Comp

313eddy

Hodgdon sent me a pound to do some testing with. I thought from seeing the load data that it might be a little fast for what we need and the testing bore that out.

7.0 gr with a 125 gr zero at 1.23 OAL gave me 1309 fps and produced a little primer flow

7.4 gr gave me 1352 fps and quite a bit of flow

This is in a Pro SX in 38super.

For comparision in the same gun to get 1360 fps I use 10.8 gr of N105 or 9.6 gr of 4756 with no pressure signs.

This would indicate that this powder is much faster and creating a lot more peak pressure.

It is quite dense (filled the case about halfway) and would probably work for 9mm but I think would still be running quite a bit of pressure.

Edited by Brazos Custom

Bob,

You should ask Hodgden to get your input BEFORE they release a new powder for comp'd guns. Not after.

How about WW Auto Comp B. (for Brazos version)

Then we could have 'Straight Auto Comp' and 'Auto Comp B'. They might sell more, if people have to buy twice, after they pick up the wrong jug the 1st time.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had a little free time this afternoon so I dropped by Hodgdon and talked with one of their techs and he said not to try making major with AutoComp in a .38 Super/Comp configuration as the pressures would be dangerously high. He and I talked for a good eight or ten minutes and was more than willing to take the time to talk with me about it. They have some mighty good folks working there if you ask me.

Joe W.

I had a little free time this afternoon so I dropped by Hodgdon and talked with one of their techs and he said not to try making major with AutoComp in a .38 Super/Comp configuration as the pressures would be dangerously high. He and I talked for a good eight or ten minutes and was more than willing to take the time to talk with me about it. They have some mighty good folks working there if you ask me.

Joe W.

From the WW website:

"AUTOCOMP is extremely fine in the 38 Super, 9mm, 45 ACP and 40 S&W race guns. It’s just the perfect burning speed to feed the compensators with a higher volume of gas. With AUTOCOMP competitors get off faster shots with minimal muzzle flash, it’s a winner."

Guess I'm a little confused--what is the target market? Minor PF race guns?

It would be great in a steel gun, minor Open gun (for whatever reason) and events such as Bianchi from what the tech told me. But even at the min book load it looks to make major in .40 and .45.

Joe W.

• 7 months later...

Hi

I just finished my tests with Auto Comp for .38SA Major for a 2011 with 4.5" barrel and 8 port comp.

I'm not sure but it seems that sometimes the pressure is a bit high.

Next week I send some rounds to a institute for pressure measuring. I don't want to ruin my new blaster...

Reloading_Data_.38SA.pdf

Edited by Maik Murwig

Wow, glad I ran upon this post :surprise: . I was about to load my first "non- Bianchi" 38 super rounds. I saw an ad in this edtion of Front Sight for the AutoComp powder and thought that might be a good place to start. Bob's post of his test of AutoComp is enough to convince me that maybe N105 or 4756 might be a better place to start.