Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tec Loaders Modified

Mell531

Hi Guys,

My Tec loaders work sometime about 75% of the time. What can I do to make them more reliable. The plunger will pop out of the tube, especially on hot days. Can anyone answer these questions:

1. How can I keep the plunger from coming out of the tube?

2. Is there a way to increase rounds, more then four in a tube?

3. Is there a company making a better speedloader for auto shotgun?

4. What devise are you using to load shells other then the Tec loader?

You guys always have the answer to the big problems, thanks.

DVC,

Mell

Hi Guys,

My Tec loaders work sometime about 75% of the time. What can I do to make them more reliable. The plunger will pop out of the tube, especially on hot days. Can anyone answer these questions:

1. How can I keep the plunger from coming out of the tube? 1/2" dowel rod about 6' epoxyed to the charging handle, see this months "front sight' magazine.

2. Is there a way to increase rounds, more then four in a tube? you have to make them yourself.

3. Is there a company making a better speedloader for auto shotgun? not that i know

4. What devise are you using to load shells other then the Tec loader?

You guys always have the answer to the big problems, thanks.

lynn jones

Hi Mell

The Tec Loader is the only game in town. There are some people out there that have cobbled out reloaders, but I haven't seen one that works.

This is the biggest problem I see with the Tec Loader;

The angle of the tube is critical while loading.

And with most shootguns you have to do a little tuning for the Tec-Loader to work properly.

1-Have to use a Easy loader (for Remington)http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=5796

2-Have to bevel and polish the the feed ramp (good rule of thumb for any auto loading firearm)

3-PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.........

SIDE NOTE;

For Remington shotguns, you can't make a reload after dropping hammer after running shotgun dry. (you must cock hammer by racking open action) The disconnector is in wrong position and blocks loading tube entrance. (amazing how many people that own Remington shotguns don't know this)

Don't feel bad....

Like what sahauptman says, practice. I use mine basically stock, no mods or wooden dowels or anything and I don't have any problems. Make sure the angle is correct and just shove it in there in a smooth motion.

Mell531,

The company that makes the "Tec Loader" (Armsteck), owns a patent on the system, thus the reason there is no other company choices.

The main reason that the push handle pops out of the tube is because of a feeding problem getting the rounds into the magazine tube. Blending the entrance of the magazine and the related receiver area will do wonders for loading with the teck tube. Think of it this way: If it is easy to feed ammo by hand, it will work better with the Tec Loader. Adding dowels to the push handle helps, but it will only cover up the problem. I find that the angle of the Tec tube is not as critical as making sure that you keep your forearm parallel with the Tec tube when you push, and don't push in a curving motion, just push straight and with consistant force.

Beven is absolutely right about the straight, consistent, parallel push being a good portion of it. The rest of the ticket here is engaging the stick with the bracket correctly before pushing the shells in. The tabs should be registered in the bracket hooks squarely and the tongue of the Tec Loader tube should be fully depressing the loader gate/feed ramp before you stroke the plunger.

The top photo shows the loader not in correct position. The tabs are not engaged, and the tongue of the tube is not depressing the loading gate yet.

The bottom photo shows a fully registered tube with the tabs squarely engaged in the bracket ears, and the loading ramp fully depressed by the tube tongue and out of the way of the incoming shells.

Taking a split second to get this alignment right, then pushing correctly really makes a big difference.

BTW, I have found the angle of the stick has little to do with operation compared to what Beven mentioned about the push and the tube/bracket engagement specifics I mentioned. The only angle that seems to matter is the left right angle, that has to be dead square. If all is done right in the areas mentioned above, the up down angle is not very critical in my experience.

Lubricating the inside of the tube and the plunger piston with powdered graphite or silicone will help get the shells going a little easier too. I prefer graphite because it doesn't pick up dust.

Another thing to watch for is to make sure not to pull the sticks from their pouch so quickly that the rounds slip out a little from their own inertia. If the shells are not fully backed up to the plunger with no gaps between them, or if the first shell is hanging out a bit, that load is doomed from the start.

sahauptman is also correct about the hammer needing to be cocked if the bolt is closed on Remington's. Another point here is to make sure the bolt is closed before doing a speedload. It will usually work with the bolt open, but because depressing the loading gate will close the bolt on most shotguns, this extra bit of ruckus going on can sometimes cause a fouled up speed load. I use a SlideLock TwoPack and chuck one in, slapping the easyloader with my small fingers to close the bolt right after my thumb & index finger drop the shell into the ejection port. Then I'm on my way to a fresh speedloader stick.

Last, but not least, Keep these things clean. They work a little better when they are not grungy. Swarf & grit in the tubes is also not good for safety reasons.

tec-not-aligned.jpg

tec-aligned.jpg

Regards,

For Remington shotguns, you can't make a reload after dropping hammer after running shotgun dry. (you must cock hammer by racking open action) The disconnector is in wrong position and blocks loading tube entrance. (amazing how many people that own Remington shotguns don't know this)

True, but you have to close the bolt on an empty chamber to get this problem. That can only happen if the gun is not cycling, or you screwed up big time!

When practicing, you can't dry fire, then slam a reload.

Arredondo Speedloader AssistI had the same problem with my tec loaders on my Benelli. What causes the plunger to pop out of the tube is that you don't have the correct angle while trying to load. So you eventually force the plunger and sometimes some shells out of the tube. I fixed my problem by getting one of those Arredondo Speedloader Assists. That thing is awesome. It doesn't let you get the angle wrong. So you're always straight in the correct angle resulting in quick loads. I am now loading while running and still can not miss one load. It's consistent load after load and very quick too!. This was the bes $149 I've spent on my shotgun. After all , loading is a big part in shotgun stages on 3 gun matches. Whatch the pros on your next big 3 gun match. You'll see that the guys winning shotgun stages are the ones with consistent and fast loads. That's why Voigt and Miculek wins most of the shotgun part, They load so damn fast!

Arredondo Speedloader Assist 2