Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb Rest

JFlowers

My open gun (a old Para Open Gun recently rebuild by Jeff Abernathy) has a thumbrest welded onto the slidelock as part of its original setup. While this is a pretty good rest when you are shooting freestyle, the rest digs into your hand/finger badly when shooting weakhand. This is due to the shape of the rest having a square corner on the back end.

I am pulling the slide lock and having it replaced it with a standard one. So the question becomes, should I replace the thumbrest? And if so, what are my options? At the moment, I only really know of two. (1) Grind and reshape the slide lock mounted thumbrest and (2) go to a "*thumb rest [generic]*" rest mounted to the CMore screws. Are there others?

Thanks

I shot Open for a couple of years with a thumb rest. Took out the limited gun and had all sorts of issues with the thumb. So, I took it off the open and never looked back. I think it took some practice and a few matches to retrain the thumb. I like my open without the thumb rest now and no limited issues.

I shot Open for a couple of years with a thumb rest. Took out the limited gun and had all sorts of issues with the thumb. So, I took it off the open and never looked back. I think it took some practice and a few matches to retrain the thumb. I like my open without the thumb rest now and no limited issues.

What issues were those?

What issues were those?

My thumb (me) kept trying to find a place to rest my thumb on my limited gun and many times the resting area was the slide.

Now I have one grip for both guns. I have eliminated just one more thing to think about when moving back and forth between open and limited.

Ruins the grip I have already developed. I was shooting high and left with the thumb rest. I have smaller hands and I don't think I was getting a sold grip and didn't allow my wrist to lock up. Watching my video of my first match with the thumb rest, versus my recoil control now without one, night and day difference.

If you are looking for a (Made a mistake, it's been a while since I saw my rest, I actually have the Arrendondo thumbrest and not a CR speed) I'll sell you mine, black, hardly used for $20 shipped, will work with the CMore holes.

pics of the thumbrest: (It's an Arrendondo, not a CR speed, sorry for the confusion)

SVIfinal002.jpg

Edited by Aristotle

If you are looking for a CR Speed thumbrest I'll sell you mine, black, hardly used for $20 shipped, will work with the CMore holes.

I like CR Speed thumbrest so I like option 2. Above is great deal for CR Speed thumbrest. :cheers: