Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Long gun trigger control?

badchad

I'm the best shooter I know and I just YANK THE CRAP out of it! :cheers:

Seriously, I am not the best rifle shooter, but my son is very good. On some of the videos you can clearly hear the trigger reset on the long range targets. The short range ones don't call from that much precision on the trigger in my opinion. With practice you should be able to tell what range targets require what amount of trigger control.

For rifle and shotgun (handgun also) my finger never leaves the trigger.

Edited by Brian Payne

What Brian said. Ride the trigger and feel the reset on the long shots. Some folks that I have talked to say they feel the reset everytime even on the hoser stuff. I can't feel it everytime but then again I not on the same level yet. B) My finger never comes off the trigger unless I have to move to a new position.

2 cents in the bank,

Chris C.

Ride the Trigger?? I get a picture of Slim Pickens ridding the bomb down in Dr. Strangelove in my mind!

Doen't matter what you do as long as it is fast and it doesn't move the rifle AT ALL while you do it! Slap, squeeze, press, ride, same same as long as it doesn't bother the rifle KurtM

I slap the hell out of the trigger on short range courses. I don't think my finger leaves the trigger. I definitely can't feel the reset. But as Kurt says, I don't slap it hard enough to really move the rifle around. On technical shots, I ride the reset, a totally different method of trigger control.

• 1 year later...

Necro-post!

I ride the trigger and actually feel the reset, even on the < 15yd shots.

With that being said, a friend of mine took a training course where the instructors advised to not prep the trigger. Their reasoning was that prepping the trigger and applying a constant pressure up till trigger pull will cause most shooters to begin making lateral movement with the rifle. Interesting thought.