Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N320 vs N340

TerryO

I see on this forum lots of people recommending N320 and not as many N340 for .40 major. I'm just going to start loading for limited with my new to me EAA Limited. I've used N320 for .45 IDPA CDP (like it), N340 for 9mm Production and IDPA SSP and ESP (also like it). N320 is harder to get. Any suggestions as to which you prefer and for what reasons. I'll be loading 180gr Zero's to 1.18 OAL.

Terry

Midland, TX

Fast powders (N320) are preferred over slower burning powders (N340) because it gives less perceived recoil. The recipe is heavy bullets and fast powder as long as we are talking guns without comps. Easier to shoot fast and accurately.........simple as that.

OK, that makes sense. Now, where are you buying N320? I normally buy a couple of 4 lb containers at a time and now can not find it in stock anywhere.

I'm pretty curious about that as well. I can't find it listed in stock anywhere.

Norway, great! I'm sure the shipping will be an issue. Even www.vihtavuori-lapua.com, (where the price is out of sight) doesn't have the 4 lb containers and didn't know when they would get them.

I have used N340 for all my loading (9mm minor with 115. 124.&147, and 40SW in 165, 180, &200) since I started reloading 14 months ago, and got it from http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

However, I have recently switched to Clays. I can load all those same combinations, with a cheaper powder ($78 per 4 pounds of N340 vs $107 for 8 pounds of Clays), and with Clays, I use about 2 grains less per round in my 40 major loads. It seems to burn just as clean, and give a much softer recoil.

Mark K

OK, that makes sense. Now, where are you buying N320? I normally buy a couple of 4 lb containers at a time and now can not find it in stock anywhere.

I'm in the same boat as you... looking for VV N320 to start loading for Limited (Zero 180 JHPs) From what I've gathered, N320 is out of stock EVERYWHERE at the moment! I thought I secured four 1lb cans a few weeks ago, only to get a call back saying that the distributor had JUST run out after they took my order. Word is that VV is notorious for being in short supply and keeping people waiting. That, and the cost is about twice as much as other powders... which I guess is why many folks have moved away from using VV powders in their limited guns.

• 2 weeks later...
Try Solo-1000, just as nice at half the price, is redilly available, and works great in .45, .40, 9mm, .380, and 12ga as well!

Is Solo 1000 fairly clean?

I was wondering the same thing. N340 was just as accurate as the N320, however N320 is softer because you have less pressure maybe... I wonder what would be the closest non VV you can get to N320? Not only you can't find it, it is now going up on price by $3 per lb, so you are looking at $30+ per LB which is ridiculous.

I must be odd man out, I like N330 better in both 9MM and .40 than N-320. Think N320's hard to find available regularly, try N330...only about 10% of on-line VV dealers bother to stock it and it's virtually gone when they get it.

I must be odd man out, I like N330 better in both 9MM and .40 than N-320. Think N320's hard to find available regularly, try N330...only about 10% of on-line VV dealers bother to stock it and it's virtually gone when they get it.

I would try if I can find it. N320 is nice, but then again I always thought N350 was nice for open until I tried True Blue this weekend. I am not so enthusiastic about spending too much time looking for N320... still looking for an alternative other than Tite Group or Clays.

I would try if I can find it. N320 is nice, but then again I always thought N350 was nice for open until I tried True Blue this weekend. I am not so enthusiastic about spending too much time looking for N320... still looking for an alternative other than Tite Group or Clays.

I found the last jugs of N330 at Recob's Target Shop. They have an on-line store but best to call for an "eyes-on" inventory check. I like the Ramshot powders too but I actually prefer Silhouette to True Blue. True Blue meters like powdered water, no...?

Vihtavuori is supplying a lot of cartridge companies as well as military. With the current events in the world, they take almost all the production for their "big customers". We, simple civilian reloaders, have to wait for the supplies to come.

It's the same thing here in Europe.