Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is this permitted?

open17

3 targets in a basic Bill Drill configuration, separated by no-shoots.

3 boxes at far "A" medium"B" and near "C"distances

Virginia count, 3 IPSC, best 6 per paper. 18 rds, 90 pts.

Start: Standing in box A hands at sides, handgun loaded and holstered per rule 8.1

Procedure: Upon audible start engage T1-T3 with only 2 rds per from box A, engage

T1-T3 with only 2 rds per from box B Strong hand only, engage T1-T3 with only

2 rds per from box C weak hand only. No stacking.

I know I can do it as strings, but is it within the 2008 rules as one string at a

Level I match?

Bill

Edited by open17

1.1.5 Freestyle – USPSA matches are freestyle. Competitors must be permitted to solve the challenge presented in a freestyle manner, and to shoot targets on an “as and when visible” basis. Courses of fire must not require mandatory reloads nor dictate a shooting position, location or stance, except as specified below. However, conditions may be created,

and barriers or other physical limitations may be constructed, to compel a competitor into shooting positions, locations or stances.

1.1.5.1 Level I matches may use shooting boxes and specify where or when specific target arrays may be engaged, and may specify mandatory reloads in short and medium courses only (not in a long course).

1.1.5.2 Standard Exercises and Classifiers may include mandatory reloads and may dictate a shooting position, location or stance.

1.1.5.3 Standard Exercises and Classifiers may specify shooting with the strong hand or weak hand unsupported. The specified hand must be used exclusively from the point stipulated for the remainder of the string or stage.

1.1.5.4 Medium or Long courses of fire may stipulate the use of either strong or weak hand, provided that only one hand, either strong or weak, is specified for no more than the last six (6) shots required.

1.1.5.5 Acourse of fire which, through the use of props, requires a competitor to shoot both strong-hand-only and weak-hand-only must not require that the shooter transition directly from one to the other. The course of fire must provide movement and unencumbered freestyle target engagement between the two.

Looks like Wide45 types faster that I do.

Since this is a medium COF, you can specify weak hand or strong hand only for the last six shots, but not both.

Change it to either weak hand or strong hand for the last box and you have a legal stage.

Bill

p.s. I like to see questions like this once in a while. Its like an open book pop quiz that helps refresh just where to look for the answers in the Blue Book.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

“Medium Courses” must not require more than 16 rounds to

complete and no more than 3 shooting locations. Course design

and construction must not require more than 8 scoring hits from

any single location or view, nor allow a competitor to shoot all

targets in the course of fire from any single location or view.

Do you see the conflict?

No it isn't legal.

Edited by JThompson

It would also be important to know whether this is a Level I match.

If it's a Level II or higher the stage is not legal on several fronts. It could be legal for Level I if the previously mentioned strong/weak hand (pick one, not both) was reduced to the last six shots required.

If it's a Level II or higher the stage is not legal on several fronts. It could be legal for Level I if the previously mentioned strong/weak hand (pick one, not both) was reduced to the last six shots required.

He states level I...

Also, it's more than 16, so that makes it large and therefore illegal as well, or am I missing something?

He states level I...

Also, it's more than 16, so that makes it large and therefore illegal as well, or am I missing something?

I missed the Level I part (I'm doing that a lot lately).

1.1.5.4 Medium or Long courses of fire may stipulate the use of either strong or weak hand, provided that only one hand, either strong or weak, is specified for no more than the last six (6) shots required.

This would be a long course, so single hand can be done as long as it's for the last six.

As a Level I, he can specify target engagements. He is not requiring reloads so he's OK there as well.

He states level I...

This would be a long course, so single hand can be done as long as it's for the last six.

As a Level I, he can specify target engagements. He is not requiring reloads so he's OK there as well.

Then what about 1.2.1.2

Says mediums can be no more than 16 rounds... this cof is 18 Then see 1.1.5.1

Level I matches may use shooting boxes and specify where or

when specific target arrays may be engaged, and may specify

mandatory reloads in short and medium courses only (not in a

long course).

Edited by JThompson

long course).

I read it as three different conditions being addressed in the same rule, with an additional restriction ("not in a long course") being placed on the third.

1) may use shooting boxes

2) may specify where or when specific target arrays may be engaged

3) may specify mandatory reloads in short and medium courses only

...and then you have this little problem.

9.2.3.2 Virginia Count must use paper targets exclusively, and must

only be used for Standard Exercises, Classifiers or Short

Courses.

The stage was scored Virginia....it wasn't a short course, it certainly wasn't a classifier and it wasn't run as a Standard Exercise (eg multiple strings).

Another nail in the coffin.

Edited by SteveZ

long course).

I read it as three different conditions being addressed in the same rule, with an additional restriction ("not in a long course") being placed on the third.

1) may use shooting boxes

2) may specify where or when specific target arrays may be engaged

3) may specify mandatory reloads in short and medium courses only

That's where George was going, but that is not really clear because it's all one sentence... It reads like this should apply to all the above not just the last line. If that's what they wanted to say it should something like:

Level I matches may use shooting boxes and specify where or when specific target arrays may be engaged. Mandatory reloads may be defined in short and medium courses only (not in a

long course).

This would be clear and to the point... the way it reads now it applies to all the above.

Edited by JThompson

Then what about 1.2.1.2

Says mediums can be no more than 16 rounds... this cof is 18 Then see 1.1.5.1

long course).

See what I mean? It's happened again! :rolleyes:

You are correct.

For those of you who follow these rules threads.....

I've been preoccupied with a new job issue (I just got it). It has been distracting me for a couple of weeks. I've been rushing throught these threads on some occasions and some of you may have noticed. :blush:

I'll try to be more attentive to detail (like we all are when on the range).

Now back to the regularly schduled discussion.

:cheers: