Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI MatchMaster

SimonM

darrello37,

I would like to hear how your MatchMaster handles with major ammo. If you've checked the weight of your slide, please do tell.

The pistol has been available for a while now, so by this time there should be someone how has tried one in 9mm major. The 9mm comes with the same trubor barrel/comp (shorter comp as opposed to the .38 super) as the SteelMaster, am I correct?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently got a Match Master in 9x19. I ordered it with the T2 comp instead of the T1 comp. It has a Dawson Precision Ice magwell, thumb rest, and stainless steel mainspring housing, a Sidewinder slide racker, and STI mag button. Total weight is 43.05 oz, slide weight is 10.00 oz.

A Trubor 5.5" with a T1 comp, Dawson Precision Ice magwell, thumb rest, and aluminum mainspring housing, a Sidewinder slide racker, and STI mag button weighs 45.10 oz, slide weight is 11.7 oz.

The pictures show how the slide racker is installed.

post-13697-1242967624_thumb.jpg

post-13697-1242967962_thumb.jpg

Edited by austex

more pictures

I have not used the gun in a match yet, and have only had very limited range time with it, not enough to really see the differences between it and the Trubor. It does seem to have a bit harsher recoil impulse, but not unpleasant, just different.

The only load I've tried is 8.25 gr True Blue, 121 gr MG IFP, 1.168 OAL, WSR primers, mixed brass. At 90 degrees, 300 ft altitude, it chronoed at 170 PF. Same load in the Trubor was 173 PF. If that difference holds across all loads I've tried in the Trubor, I can use True Blue, Silhouette, HS-6, and WSF; I doubt if the 9x19 case will hold enough 3N37 or 7625 to make major in the Match Master (they're compressed loads in the Trubor to make major), and N350 will be iffy. Although I understand others have made major in 9x19 with Longshot, Power Pistol, and 3N38, I couldn't make major with them in the Trubor. Doesn't really matter, since I really like True Blue.

post-13697-1242967264_thumb.jpg

post-13697-1242967277_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pictures and the update austex!

You stated that the slide weights 10 ounces. Is that with a racker? I haven't put my slide on a scale, but Bob Londrigan informed me that it's 9,4 oz. If I'd install a racker on it, it would be around 10 oz, give or take a little.

The firing pin stop plate is shaped very differently in the SteelMaster than in any other pistol that I've seen. I know that the reason for this is to make it easier for the slide to "move back". Because both the SteelMaster and the MatchMaster are equipped with the same length light RecoilMasters and they have just about the same amount of moving mass (slide), there must be a difference in the shape of that firing pin stop plate. Could you post a picture of the rear of the slide showing that?

In IPSC the major pf minimum is only 160, so that should be easily done with the VV powders. I do believe that making the 170 is a bit tricky...

BTW, your pistol is pretty much what I would've ordered, but it wasn't available at the time.

The 10 oz slide weight is without the slide racker, but with the firing pin, spring, extractor, and stop (same for Trubor weight).

I will not be able to post a picture of the stop until next week, but it is very different from anything I've seen before. Sort of like a wedge, with the taper starting around the firing pin hole and almost making an edge at the the bottom.

I suspect that 3N37 and N350 might make 160 PF in the MM, but with very full cases.

I have had my MatchMaster now for about two months and have put about a thousand rounds thru the gun. The gun shoots extremely well and it's shortened slide does provide for very fast follow up shots. Making major velocity with the shorter barrel also was just a matter of working up some loads and using the chrono. I will update later with match results from the gun and shooter.

Kermit,

Thank you for the comments and good to hear that your MatchMaster is shooting well. Is yours in 9mm and does it have the same kind barrel/comp setup as SteelMaster has? And have you been shooting with the RecoilMaster or...?

Kermit,

Thank you for the comments and good to hear that your MatchMaster is shooting well. Is yours in 9mm and does it have the same kind barrel/comp setup as SteelMaster has? And have you been shooting with the RecoilMaster or...?

Mine is 38 super and i have had great success reloading with VV3n38 which makes major with no problem even with the shorter barrel. I believe the comp is actually longer on the MatchMaster than the SteelMaster. The recoilmaster seems to be funtioning properly at this time. I will keep posting as the season progress and after the Indiana Sections this upcoming weekend.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi,

I'm in the market for an open gun and have been looking at the MM or Trubor in 9mm.

Does anybody know how they compare?

The thing I'm most unsure about the MM is the T1 comp. Will it be sufficient for major 9?

I guess with the short barrel popple holes are out of the question if the comp doesn't hold up.

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but at least I did use the search function :)

Thanks,

Erik

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently got a Match Master in 9x19. I ordered it with the T2 comp instead of the T1 comp. It has a Dawson Precision Ice magwell, thumb rest, and stainless steel mainspring housing, a Sidewinder slide racker, and STI mag button. Total weight is 43.05 oz, slide weight is 10.00 oz.

A Trubor 5.5" with a T1 comp, Dawson Precision Ice magwell, thumb rest, and aluminum mainspring housing, a Sidewinder slide racker, and STI mag button weighs 45.10 oz, slide weight is 11.7 oz.

Hello, looking for an update from anyone with a Match Master ( MatchMaster ). I am looking at one of these in .38 super for two reasons.

1) Shoot steel

2) Back up gun to my STI Trubore in .38 Super

Also of note, I am a C shooter going towards B shooter after two more classifiers (unless I sandbag, LOL :D )

I would also be interested in load data for both the Trubore and Matchmaster in .38 Super. I am currently loading 7.9grs of Hogdon Longshot under a 124gr JHP from Montana Gold. Its been awhile but, I went with the JHP after chrono tests shows it faster then FMJ. This testing was done in the summer near Fort Collins, CO (5000ft). I live in Minnesota now and had to increase from 7.7grs of longshot to 7.9 after not making major by a smidgen.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm an A class shooter and have both the Match Master and the Trubor. Mine are in 9mm Major. My load for both is 124 grain Montana Gold hollow points behind 7.2 grains of Autocomp. My Trubor has the T1 comp and the Match Master has the T2 Comp. I recently purchased the Match Master, and it has a sideway mounted C-More. I've been very happy with the Trubor, but was looking for another 9mm major factory gun that might shoot a little flatter. I had been using a custom 9mm open as my primary gun, but cracked the frame after about 17k rounds (old style Tripp Research frame). After talking to the STI Rep at the Nationals, his statement that if I break their factory gun, send it back and they'll fix it for life gave me the incentive to try another factory STI. I've put about 20+k rounds throught the Trubor and it runs 100% (with SVI mags and tweaking the ejector and extractor). It still shoots 1 hole groups at 15 yards.

I had heard shorties could be harsh, and they were falling out of vogue. I have shot a few friends shorties in 38 super, and they were a little harsh, but they had Popple holes.

The Match Master does shoot a little flatter than the Trubor. The weight difference is 1.8 ounces, and seems noticeable when the guns are empty, but not with a loaded big stick. The dot doesn't leave the C-more like it does on the Trubor. I've been pleasantly surprised by the lack of harshness and after replacing the extractor with a Dawson extractor, has run 100%. For now, it's the primary gun.

I'm still getting used to the sideways mounted C-more. After a couple years training to draw on the high mounted C-more, I need to retrain to sight on the lower sideways mount. My first match with the sideways mount I found I was point shooting the gun on close targets because I was still used to looking higher. I haven't noticed any negative effects of loosing periphrial vision and the gun tracks straight up and down.

I may send the Trubor back to STI to fit a T2 comp. After I get it back, who knows - it may go back to the primary gun. I'll keep the T1 as it works well with 9mm minor.

I've been very pleased with both.

:sight:

Hello, looking for an update from anyone with a Match Master ( MatchMaster ). I am looking at one of these in .38 super for two reasons.

1) Shoot steel

2) Back up gun to my STI Trubore in .38 Super

Also of note, I am a C shooter going towards B shooter after two more classifiers (unless I sandbag, LOL :D )

I would also be interested in load data for both the Trubore and Matchmaster in .38 Super. I am currently loading 7.9grs of Hogdon Longshot under a 124gr JHP from Montana Gold. Its been awhile but, I went with the JHP after chrono tests shows it faster then FMJ. This testing was done in the summer near Fort Collins, CO (5000ft). I live in Minnesota now and had to increase from 7.7grs of longshot to 7.9 after not making major by a smidgen.

I have a matchmaster in .38 super. I love it. I run either N350 or Autocomp depending upon what I have at the time. 7.8 of N350 gets me to major here or 7.4 of Autocomp. 7.2 makes it, but 7.4 feels better to me. I shoot about the same, high C, low B and it's a great gun for me. Mine has no extra holes, just a T2 comp, 90* mount and a trigger job.

Update, found a heck of a deal on a SteelMaster and had to buy it. Called STI, they said that the Steelmaster will shoot major9 fine. After a break in of 800 rounds of 9major get the 5" guide rod and 9# or 10# spring to shoot 9Major. I also have this crazy idea of getting the STI T2 comp barrel in 9 x 19 to shoot 9Major and save the T1 comp barrel for 9 minor for steel shoots.

Anybody have some opinions about this idea?

Update, found a heck of a deal on a SteelMaster and had to buy it. Called STI, they said that the Steelmaster will shoot major9 fine. After a break in of 800 rounds of 9major get the 5" guide rod and 9# or 10# spring to shoot 9Major. I also have this crazy idea of getting the STI T2 comp barrel in 9 x 19 to shoot 9Major and save the T1 comp barrel for 9 minor for steel shoots.

Anybody have some opinions about this idea?

Only one issue, STI doesn't sell there shorty Trubor barrels. They only sell the full size Trubor barrels, which won't work in commander size slide Steelmaster. If you want a better comp you will need to get a bull barrel with thread on comp or standard barrel with a cone comp. I would strongly consider the Dawson, Azone, Bedell, or some other heavy long steel comp with a bull barrel if you decide to you want a better comp.

Thanks, I was wondering about that since I have not been able to find a barrel to buy. But that does not make sense, these barrels will not last forever.

I will double check and call STI tomorrow. Shootersconnection guy I spoke to today did not know and then their website went down AGAIN. I was hoping for more of a drop in solution, one of the reasons I like the STI guns.

Thanks, I was wondering about that since I have not been able to find a barrel to buy. But that does not make sense, these barrels will not last forever.

I will double check and call STI tomorrow. Shootersconnection guy I spoke to today did not know and then their website went down AGAIN. I was hoping for more of a drop in solution, one of the reasons I like the STI guns.

If you shoot out your barrel I'm sure you will be able to get one from STI, they aren't going to leave you hanging.

• 9 months later...

Hay,Im looking to buy the sti matchmaker voor ipsc/npsa shooting.

At the moment i am shooting a tanfoglio limited custom open 9x19 major.

Now i was considering a trubor but i think i''m beter of with a matchmaker<lighter,smaller an it seems to repeat faster.

Only thing i was worried about was getting a major factor out of the shorter barrel,reading this topic learnde that it is possiblle.

Are there any more expierence with this pistol with a 9x19 caliber and a major load.

And what do you think about the shoise of the matchmaker ofer the trubor

Grtz ronald

12-T81 npsa