Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New B question

Doc Neeley

I shoot trap, 5 stand, CAS, and want to shoot USPSA and IDPA. Just another shooting opportunity. I'm an FFL so lots of gun choices, but it will be a 9mm. So I'm unclear regarding what type bullets (the projectile themselves) are legal for USPSA/IDPA. For instance CAS is lead only to reduce splatter from jacketed bullets. If jacketed is legal that would be my choice over plated, but I don't want to invest in a bunch of bullets I'll never use.

Thanks folks.

BTW, I really like the site and the polite and helpful people here. Doc

Welcome. Most of the stuff I've seen at match's and read is most people shoot 9's in IDPA and the 40's in USPSA. Those that shoot on a regular basis shoot a 2011(Double Stack) handgun. Before you buy a gun committed to one of these shooting sport's I would go to the match and make a decision based on what you see there. I just bought my first 1911 it is a 40 S&W STI Trojan with which I have no regrets but I wish I had seen a 2011 before I might saved a few coins and gone that route.

Edited by KWD

The only bullet rules would be local or range specific. Several places in my area prohibit hollowpoints and personally I dont like seeing them but I realize I am in a very small minority with that view. I have never been real happy with cast 9mm and if I was shooting 9mm I would most likely order Precision delta, Montana Gold, Winchester or surplus 124 gr fmj's. I prefer the 124's as I got a bunch of pulled 124 military surplus so have just stuck with that weight.

Most of the stuff I've seen at match's and read is most people shoot 9's in IDPA and the 40's in USPSA. Those that shoot on a regular basis shoot a 2011(Double Stack) handgun.

Not really true; it depends on the division of competition. We have 9mms, .40s and .45s all well-represented in both sports. And in my experience, the double stack 2011 type, while not exactly rare, is far from the most common handgun on the range. That honor would go to Glocks competing in SSP (IDPA) or Production (USPSA).