Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RCBS bullet feeder

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tight fit is an understatement. I did not think I was going to be able to separate it. I'm not sure my diesel truck has enough power to turn that sucker.

Wish I had seen this before. I had the exact same issue, did the exact same thing, tore it all apart etc. I talked to RCBS support and then directly to an engineer. They are testing 100% of the units for correct function before they package them, so as much as it looks like the clearance is all wrong, it's not. I did not believe this at first either. What is happening is the aluminum plate is not securly held in place for shipping and it's shifting in transit. I advised them to hold the plate in place with foam for shipping, hopefully they are doing this now.

The aluminum plate sits on/in a Delrin bowl with a very tight clearance. Delrin is self lubricating so this should be a very good, long term setup. We used Delrin to make suspension bushings for our race cars, good stuff, lasts forever. Once the plate is sitting properly you will find it spins freely and that little motor is more than enough to turn 200 bullets.

The motor shaft has a flat and a tensioning allen head screw is in the gear, I missed this at first and thought I stripped the shaft or gear when mine bound up out of the box. Easy to correct.

Getting the plate in with the belt properly lined up is not easy, be patient. The belt does not need to be very tight, just enough to grip the teeth in the belt.

Lead semi-wadcutters will feed incorrectly since the feeder aligns the bullets on the flat base. Semi-wadcutter have two flats, the base and the paper cutting edge on the front, this lines the bullets up backwards and forwards at random. Boat tails will not feed at all, they slip off since there is no flat. Standard flat base FMJ / JHP work just fine. Lead bullets with a smooth, FMJ like profile and a flat base work fine, but get the feeder dirty.

I'll do some video one of these days.

Edited by spencerhut

Tight fit is an understatement. I did not think I was going to be able to separate it. I'm not sure my diesel truck has enough power to turn that sucker.

Wish I had seen this before. I had the exact same issue, did the exact same thing, tore it all apart etc. I talked to RCBS support and then directly to an engineer. They are testing 100% of the units for correct function before they package them, so as much as it looks like the clearance is all wrong, it's not. I did not believe this at first either. What is happening is the aluminum plate is not securly held in place for shipping and it's shifting in transit. I advised them to hold the plate in place with foam for shipping, hopefully they are doing this now.

The aluminum plate sits on/in a Delrin bowl with a very tight clearance. Delrin is self lubricating so this should be a very good, long term setup. We used Delrin to make suspension bushings for our race cars, good stuff, lasts forever. Once the plate is sitting properly you will find it spins freely and that little motor is more than enough to turn 200 bullets.

The motor shaft has a flat and a tensioning allen head screw is in the gear, I missed this at first and thought I stripped the shaft or gear when mine bound up out of the box. Easy to correct.

Getting the plate in with the belt properly lined up is not easy, be patient. The belt does not need to be very tight, just enough to grip the teeth in the belt.

Lead semi-wadcutters will feed incorrectly since the feeder aligns the bullets on the flat base. Semi-wadcutter have two flats, the base and the paper cutting edge on the front, this lines the bullets up backwards and forwards at random. Boat tails will not feed at all, they slip off since there is no flat. Standard flat base FMJ / JHP work just fine. Lead bullets with a smooth, FMJ like profile and a flat base work fine, but get the feeder dirty.

I'll do some video one of these days.

Thanks, armed with this info, I attacked the feeder again. It is running fine now.