Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New guy from the green state

edgerat

Afternoon ladies and gentleman, new member here from the great wet northwest :) I have a new STI inbound from Mr. Cheely and am in desperate need of a place to shoot and people to shoot with. Would also greatly consider finding a local GM that would be willing to give me some lessons.

Thank you!

isaac

Olympia, WA

Welcome to the Northwest Isaac! You willing to drive? We have 6 clubs shooting USPSA just about every weekend from Blaine to Puyallup, most of the year round. Closest to you may be Paul Bunyan in Puyallup.

I'm the Match Director for USPSA in Renton and our first match of the year is February 22nd, and we shoot every 4th Sunday. 9am registration, 10pm match begins.

Come out and join us!

Here's the ranges information:

www.rfgc.org

so my shiny new Cheely built STI in .40 won't work for IDPA because it is a sight-tracker and as such does not have a bushing-barrel. I have an XDM in 9mm that is stock as a rock, will that work for IDPA? I can have Rich Dettelhouser put some bomars and a trigger job on it. Is 9mm the preferred caliber for IDPA or is it .40? I don't break the rules in the shooting game but I like to know how to push them enough to make myself competitive. Factory loaded ammo work or do I need to load to a certain PF in IDPA?

Edited by edgerat

I have an XDM in 9mm that is stock as a rock, will that work for IDPA?

Absolutely.

Is 9mm the preferred caliber for IDPA or is it .40? I don't break the rules in the shooting game but I like to know how to push them enough to make myself competitive. Factory loaded ammo work or do I need to load to a certain PF in IDPA?

In Stock Service Pistol and Enhanced Service Pistol divisions (in both of which your XDM would be legal) the power floor is 125,000 (in IDPA they don't divide by 1,000 after computing the power factor). In factory ammo, 9mm will give you what you need to make pf but not much more. For that reason and also affordability I'd guide you that way if you're going to use factory ammo. Having said that, most guys in IDPA just run with the cartridge for which their carry gun happens to be chambered.

Thank you Duane! I sent an email to Gary Wall a few days ago but haven't heard back just yet.

Gary should get around to answering your email...or he'll make me do it. :rolleyes:

The NWS is probably one of the most competitive sections. There are many GM's and M's shooting all the divisions....expect competition to be stiff in any division you chose to compete in. Many of the clubs in the section take a break over the winter...but all of them are up and running again in February.

Edited by SteveZ

Thank you Duane! I sent an email to Gary Wall a few days ago but haven't heard back just yet.

Gary should get around to answering your email...or he'll make me do it. :rolleyes:

The NWS is probably one of the most competitive sections. There are many GM's and M's shooting all the divisions....expect competition to be stiff in any division you chose to compete in. Many of the clubs in the section take a break over the winter...but all of them are up and running again in February.

Competition is what I am after Steve :) Give me one or two matches to make GM though, gotta go slow on the learning curve ;)

• 2 weeks later...

My STI from Matt Cheely should be here on Tuesday, anyone know what matches are going on next weekend and what clubs I need to join or whatever it may be in order to come out and shoot some limited?

isaac

My STI from Matt Cheely should be here on Tuesday, anyone know what matches are going on next weekend and what clubs I need to join or whatever it may be in order to come out and shoot some limited?

isaac

I think Shelton is having their match (indoor) this Sunday. Have you checked out northwestsection.org?

If you've shot a match anywhere else and/or are classified you should be good to go, just show up, pay and shoot safe.

Otherwise a call to Bruce Bennett(Shelton club) would be a good idea.

In Stock Service Pistol and Enhanced Service Pistol divisions (in both of which your XDM would be legal)

I'm confident that the XDm 9mm would be fine in IDPA's ESP but won't be eligible for SSP.

The club locator should tell you when the matches are scheduled. They're always on the same day of the month, i.e. first Sunday is Renton, etc. The club locator should also give your a name and phone number for the club point of contact, who can answer all your questions.

and Renton is 4th Sunday, btw. :-)

Unless otherwise noted below, Northwest Section Clubs hold regularly-scheduled monthly pistol matches - starting at 10am - on:

1st Sat Kitsap

1st Sun Custer & Shelton

2nd Sun Paul Bunyan

3rd Sun Marysville

4th Sun Renton

November thru February, we suggest that you have mail with or phone a Club Rep(s) before traveling any distance, as weather conditions can and do force the occasional un-planned cancellation not reflected in this Calendar…

Section Clubs occasionally conduct "USPSA-style" or other "special" matches (e.g. 3-Gun, concealed-carry) on 5th Sun's or in conjunction with their normal pistol matches. Refer to the Club Locator Map for club contact names & email addresses to enquire furth

You don't need to join USPSA rite away, but it's highly encourage you to do so, especially if you want to get classified. Just contact someone from one of the 6 local clubs to set you up for a safety check. either go to the club locator at USPSA.com or Northwestsection.org. The only thing you need, aside from gear, is a safety check to shoot.

Have you shot any form of action pistol before?

isaac

Welcome edgerat to the forum. When you get gun from Matt Cheely please show us a picture in gallery section. :cheers:

You don't need to join USPSA rite away, but it's highly encourage you to do so, especially if you want to get classified. Just contact someone from one of the 6 local clubs to set you up for a safety check. either go to the club locator at USPSA.com or Northwestsection.org. The only thing you need, aside from gear, is a safety check to shoot.

Have you shot any form of action pistol before?

No sir, never shot action pistol. Have competed in smallbore position shooting, was on the national champion high school rifle team(12years back), have shot smallbore silhouette, and a few other forms of organized shooting sports. If I arrive early (ick) would I be able to complete the safety check prior to the shoot at Shelton the first weekend of February? Then I am only out about a 20 minute drive back home if I fail ;)

oh sweet jesus that safety stuff will take a while to commit to memory.... :unsure:

Not really.

Don't point the gun at yourself

Don't point the gun at anything beyond perpendicular to the back of the bay.

KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE EFFING TRIGGER

And most importantly, never point the gun at the SO. We tend to hold that against you. Forever. :devil:

Edited by MemphisMechanic