Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is this possible?

newopen GM

Is it possible to weld on a slide? There is a hole in my slide at the barrel lug and the gases coming out of it throw my c-more off. I know it would be easier to just fit a new slide but this is way cheaper. Any help would be appreciated.

I cant take a pic right now but what happened is he put scallops in the slide and he let the mill go too far one time and it went through into the rear barrel lug and gas in venting out of there and hitting the c-more mount.

I cant take a pic right now but what happened is he put scallops in the slide and he let the mill go too far one time and it went through into the rear barrel lug and gas in venting out of there and hitting the c-more mount.

Whoever did that should step up and fix the problem they created. :angry2:

Wait, the mill actually went into the barrel? There shouldn't be enough gas inside the slide to vent out like that. Do you have popple holes in the barrel?

It didnt go into the barrel. It just went through the slide. He did'nt have the barrel in it when he did the scallops. I don't know what popple holes are. Could you clarify please?

Wait, the mill actually went into the barrel? There shouldn't be enough gas inside the slide to vent out like that. Do you have popple holes in the barrel?

It didnt go into the barrel. It just went through the slide. He did'nt have the barrel in it when he did the scallops. I don't know what popple holes are. Could you clarify please?

Popple holes are about 1/8" holes in the top of the barrel at the front. I'm failing to see how there is gas pressure inside the slide that is pushing your c-more off. We need a picture.

I havent asked him yet but after he did that Im not sure if I want to let him fix it.

He can fix it by paying for another gunsmith to do the work.

I guess he could but I've had the gun for about 7 months now. I don't know if he will do that after I have had the gun this long.

Popple holes are about 1/8" holes in the top of the barrel at the front. I'm failing to see how there is gas pressure inside the slide that is pushing your c-more off. We need a picture.

That's what my dad said too but there is always dirt from the gases coming from the hole on the bottom of the mount. I will post a pic tonight.

Are you sure its coming from that hole? I've always gotten accumulation of stuff on the bottom of the C-More - it gets there from gasses and gunk that are vented from the ejection port during cycling. Depending on the gun, and its port configuration, its either localized above the ejection port (my current gun), or its spread under most of the underside of the scope. You could also get accumulation on the top of the slide from this process - and it could look like its coming from that hole...

Now, a different issue - anyone cutting on a slide such that they're over the upper locking lugs is not doing you any favors, whether they cut too deep or not. You don't want to be taking meat off the lugs. I've seen some pretty radical lightening jobs, and in every case, they avoid getting into the locking lug area (at least, on USPSA major PF guns). I'd avoid letting that guy touch your gun again, under any circumstances. Unfortunately, the best fix for that might be a new slide - as it is now, the slide will likely develop a crack sooner or later (no real reason to not shoot it until then, though).

I am not sure it is coming from that hole but it was pretty centralized over the spot where the hole would be pointing when the slide came back. I forgot to mention the fact that it is a 4.25 inch gun as well. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I just figured it might.

I have tried to shoot it with this problem but major loads usually throw it off in 30 rounds or so and minor loads seem to knock it off right in the middle of a Steel Challenge stage every time. This might even be a mount problem but it is a very big coincidence that there is a hole there.

Like Dave I have always had an accumulation of crud on the bottom of the scope in a well built normally functioning gun. With the rear lug compromised on the slide it won't last long, you'll fix it sooner or later whether you want to or not.

I am not sure it is coming from that hole but it was pretty centralized over the spot where the hole would be pointing when the slide came back. I forgot to mention the fact that it is a 4.25 inch gun as well. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I just figured it might.

I have tried to shoot it with this problem but major loads usually throw it off in 30 rounds or so and minor loads seem to knock it off right in the middle of a Steel Challenge stage every time. This might even be a mount problem but it is a very big coincidence that there is a hole there.

How are getting the C-more back to zero after the problem? Have you ckd the mount and the screws? have you ckd the screws holding the C-more to the mount?

Like Dave I have always had an accumulation of crud on the bottom of the scope in a well built normally functioning gun. With the rear lug compromised on the slide it won't last long, you'll fix it sooner or later whether you want to or not.

So you do not think it would be wise to weld the slide?

Like Dave I have always had an accumulation of crud on the bottom of the scope in a well built normally functioning gun.

+1

That shoudn't push your scope off. Even on a short modified gun with hybrid holes right below the scope, I've not seen it change the zero. I'd say there is another problem causing your zero issues.

How are getting the C-more back to zero after the problem? Have you ckd the mount and the screws? have you ckd the screws holding the C-more to the mount?

I am just simply readjusting the sight in screws on the c-more. We have checked the mount and the c-more and there seems to be no looseness.

Like Dave I have always had an accumulation of crud on the bottom of the scope in a well built normally functioning gun.

+1

That shoudn't push your scope off. Even on a short modified gun with hybrid holes right below the scope, I've not seen it change the zero. I'd say there is another problem causing your zero issues.

Ok. What do you think it would be?

+1

Ok. What do you think it would be?

Cracked scope, loose lens, loose diode, scope shifting on mount... lots of possibilities.