Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1st time powder purchase recommendations for 9 minor?

Gary Faulkner

Gary, just an FYI datapoint since I've been messing with 9mm and different bullets lately, and use nothing but Solo1000.

I'm loading 3.6 gr of S1000 with lead 147s, and 3.8 with MG and Hornady 147s, all are giving me PF ~135, with the lowest shot still above 125 PF. From a 4" barrel.

In 124 gr, I'm doing 4.5 gr S1000 in 124 gr lead and did 4.8 for Rainier plated 124 gr., again for PF~135 in a 4" barrel.

Wolf primers, mostly. The Winchester showed no difference I could see.

Mean muzzle velocity and SDs have beeen very cionsistent across testing seessions and differences of ~30 degrees F. Interestingly, although within a bullet they stay the same, the SDs change more than I'd thought between different makes of bullet.

FYI,

Ben

Edited by ben b.

Gary, just an FYI datapoint since I've been messing with 9mm and different bullets lately, and use nothing but Solo1000.

I'm loading 3.6 gr of S1000 with lead 147s, and 3.8 with MG and Hornady 147s, all are giving me PF ~135, with the lowest shot still above 125 PF. From a 4" barrel.

In 124 gr, I'm doing 4.5 gr S1000 in 124 gr lead and did 4.8 for Rainier plated 124 gr., again for PF~135 in a 4" barrel.

Wolf primers, mostly. The Winchester showed no difference I could see.

Mean muzzle velocity and SDs have beeen very cionsistent across testing seessions and differences of ~30 degrees F. Interestingly, although within a bullet they stay the same, the SDs change more than I'd thought between different makes of bullet.

FYI,

Ben

Thanks for the good info, Ben.

Like I said I'm brand new to reloading so I'm gonna show my ignorance and ask what the SD stands for? I have seen this on many threads and haven't figured it out yet.

Thanks

I'll put in another vote for Solo 1000. I tried to find the load data that was posted some time ago for Solo, but could not find it. Here is some 9mm data from what I printed out.

115 Hornady FMJRN 1.114 3.6gr. to 4.0gr. 1037fps 31,000 CUP

115 Hornady JHP 1.030 3.7gr. to 4.1gr. 1085fps 31,300 CUP

124 Hornady FMJRN 1.114 3.7gr. to 4.1gr. 1028fps 31,600 CUP

I have tried it in 38 Super and Solo is very mild. I shoot it in 40 and love it.

Gary - From an old post:

Scot Powder PDF

FYI S1000 is now packaged by Accurate.

Same PDF I used when I started playing with Solo 1000, and it worked fine.

According to the PDF file, I can't use mag primers. Can't I just drop down a few grains? I want to be safe, but I can find any wsp.

Thanks,

A.T.

Gary - From an old post:

Scot Powder PDF

FYI S1000 is now packaged by Accurate.

Same PDF I used when I started playing with Solo 1000, and it worked fine.

According to the PDF file, I can't use mag primers. Can't I just drop down a few grains? I want to be safe, but I can find any wsp.

Thanks,

A.T.