Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good Ol' Barber Shops

EricW

I just got a haircut at what would seem is one of the last few old-time barber shops in existence. There is just nothing better than getting a good haircut in a dumpy shack with a bunch of old codgers yakking it up and telling dirty jokes.

:lol:

I lived over in VERY remote parts of Asia for just about a year. (Three hour hike to get my mail, EACH WAY!) One of the things I miss the most is the $0.35 hair cuts, and the $0.15 shaves. I would go and get a hair cut and a shave every chance I could. Little scary letting a "native" get that close to your neck with a straight razor. :huh:

Still haven't found a place for a shave back here in the states, but found a decent barber about two months ago. Older guy, bitches alot, just the way it should be. :P

Did they splash some Witch Hazel on you when they finished, and trim your sideburns with a straight razor. Used to go to a shop like that, they couldn't cut hair for anything but the place had character.

No witch hazel. I didn't see a straight razor and the strop like they always had when I was a kid. I probably didn't look hard enough. The haircut was only $9 and it's one of the best ones I've ever had. Damn, I look good... :lol::P

Yeah...right.....

I've got one I go to that's the best I've seen. He greets you by name or title when you walk in the door and when it's your turn to get in the chair he'll consult with you on exactly how you want it to look. Typically something like "So, you want it a little shorter"? I don't know what happens if you say "no" but if you say "yes", you get the exact same hair cut every time. Doesn't matter who you are, everyone gets the same haircut. I suspect that at some point Bob may have done his trimming for the military. It's great though because if you like the way he does it, you never have to worry about him messing it up.

He's also known for taking the initiative if you come in with problems. Eyebrows a little too bushy, sideburns looking a little scraggly, etc. and Bob will just start cutting, no questions asked. I once got a full shave on a Saturday morning because he didn't feel I had done a good enough job on my own before coming to him.

He still cleans up the sideburns, neck and ears with a little warm shaving cream and a straight razor but the strop is gone. I asked him about it on one visit and was told that he wished he could still resharpen his blades but these "*n health codes" now require that he throw out the blade every time he nicks someone so he doesn't bother sharpening anymore, just replaces the blades.

When all is said and done, you hand over your money and he pulls the crank on his old manual cashregister that someone slapped a "Y2K Compliant" bumper sticker on the the back of and hands you your change. He went up from nine to ten a couple years back but it's still worth it. Barbers like Bob are a dying breed unfortunately.