Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wife won't shoot what I have

Franklin D Wolverton

My wife has started shooting with me. Can't get her to shoot anything more than a 9...

She volunteered with me to work the SS Nats, but of course she won't shoot a .45 (her quote "that evil thing).

I bought her a Baretta 92, and she loves it... so now I have to find a 9mm 1911 for her...

Of course... I don't have the money... grrr...

Frank

(I think that word is "woes")......

I took my S&W PPC9 to the range yesterday and was instantly reminded how punchy 9mm factory ammo is. My hand-loaded .45ACP stuff is wussie by comparison! :rolleyes:

.45 is not evil... and is NEVER evil in a 1911. :wub:

(I think that word is "woes")......

I took my S&W PPC9 to the range yesterday and was instantly reminded how punchy 9mm factory ammo is. My hand-loaded .45ACP stuff is wussie by comparison! :rolleyes:

.45 is not evil... and is NEVER evil in a 1911. :wub:

Actually... wuss was the word I was looking for, thanks :roflol:

Tiny... your coming all the way down and not shooting? Matt has it to nice :cheers:

Frank

Edited cause I have fat fingers :roflol:

Edited by Franklin D Wolverton

She is welcome to borrow my STI Trojan for the match and whatever prematch training she needs. In .40 major it is really sweet to shoot, and a joke in .40 minor. It has V10 grips and an SVI magwell with a 2# trigger, FO front sight and adjustable rear.

I am returning a favor once offered to me, there is no charge. Let me know if you are interested.

Edited by kgunz11

I couldn't do that... she'd be shooting a nicer gun than me :) With her level of inexperience, I wouldn't want to hand her a pistol she had never seen before and say... have fun babe... don't DQ..." :cheers:

I think I'm going to try and find a "cheap" 9mm 1911 for her. She is a relatively new shooter (a few months) and doesn't need anything special. Just something to shoot.

Searching now... but not having a lot of luck... maybe I'll have to go to the classifieds and see if someone wants to trade for a NBF'd savage F/TR...

Most of the stuff I'm finding is a little outside of my budget, since we are now a one income family...

Frank

Tuning isn't the big deal... it's the cash. I'm so limited on it I think I'll have to do some trading.

I've got a gunsmith here that does ALL my work. Nice to have one of those... drop it off, tell him what you want, and he gets it done.

Drift....

He just put a new ejector on my Taurus... $35 total... getting the broken one out (of course it didn't come out easily), the part (caspian extended), and fitting.

Off Drift.

Frank

If she's just getting started there is another possible solution that won't cost anything.

45 minor. I just bought my wife a 9mm Colt 70 series, but before that I loaded her up

some 230 Bear Creek Moly's with a light charge ( I THINK it was 3.1 of Titegroup).

Dropped down to a 8 lb spring. Like shooting a 22.

Downside is only 8 rds minor. Upside is that you probably already have everything to

try it.

If she's just getting started there is another possible solution that won't cost anything.

45 minor. I just bought my wife a 9mm Colt 70 series, but before that I loaded her up

some 230 Bear Creek Moly's with a light charge ( I THINK it was 3.1 of Titegroup).

Downside is only 8 rds minor. Upside is that you probably already have everything to

try it.

I've actually tried .45 minor. She still won't go near the thing.

I'll figure something out... or she won't shoot :roflol:

Honestly... I think I'm going to tell her that it's not a .45, and have her shoot it. My loads JUST barely make major as it is... I've got plenty of room on the low side to download them...

I think she's just afraid because someone told her that she wouldn't want to shoot a .45 because of the kick.

try it.

I've actually tried .45 minor. She still won't go near the thing.

I'll figure something out... or she won't shoot :roflol:

Honestly... I think I'm going to tell her that it's not a .45, and have her shoot it. My loads JUST barely make major as it is... I've got plenty of room on the low side to download them...

I think she's just afraid because someone told her that she wouldn't want to shoot a .45 because of the kick.

What about a .40 Frank? They can be lighting than 9s and you can make major with those too, so you have more options.

My wife has started shooting with me. Can't get her to shoot anything more than a 9...

She volunteered with me to work the SS Nats, but of course she won't shoot a .45 (her quote "that evil thing).

I bought her a Baretta 92, and she loves it... so now I have to find a 9mm 1911 for her...

Frank

you're tell us you have to buy another gun. OMG :)

Edited by lynn jones

Frank

you're tell us you have to buy another gun. OMG :)

Basically, yes. I LIKE buying guns... I HATE not having the cash for it. I REALLY HATE that the wife won't shoot what I already have, knowing we don't have the cash for a new gun...

Don't know if I can talk her into a .40, but it's worth a shot.

The I run into having to buy more dies... I don't shoot .40... only 9 and .45 :)

Geesh...

Tell her .40s have less recoil than a 9mm... it's not even a lie. :) If you're using a Dillon 550 you can use my quick change and dies for the summer... I'm not going to need it for some time.

JT

Edited by JThompson

I have an extra set of dies I can donate.

I'm all about getting the women shooting.

Some of the best times we have as a family is the ride home after a match discussing our performances, and for me watching her progression.

My offer stands of the .40 cal Trojan. It's a shooter and she can't brake it. Take it, please. Just pass on the gesture some day as I am doing now.

Don't know if I can talk her into a .40, but it's worth a shot.

The I run into having to buy more dies... I don't shoot .40... only 9 and .45 :)

Geesh...

Tell her .40s have less recoil than a 9mm... it's not even a lie. :) If you're using a Dillon 550 you can use my quick change and dies for the summer... I'm not going to need it for some time.

JT

Got a Square Deal... shouldn't be to bad to get the dies for it.

I have access to 650's... but not a 550.

Might have to take Kgunz11 up on his offer. I'm gonna try and get her shooting the .45, but if she won't...

Frank

How about I send it out to you and you take her to the range and let her try it.

AikiDale did the same thing for me not long after joining the forums here and no one knew me from Adam's house cat.

Buy her some Atlanta Arms minor .40 and let her rock out. The Trojan was my wife's fav gun to shoot until I got her that MC.

How about I send it out to you and you take her to the range and let her try it.

AikiDale did the same thing for me not long after joining the forums here and no one knew me from Adam's house cat.

Buy her some Atlanta Arms minor .40 and let her rock out. The Trojan was my wife's fav gun to shoot until I got her that MC.

That's a little much, man... you don't know me from Adam :)

I don't know how many times I've loaned a gun to people at a match... but sending one halfway across the country to someone you don't know?

I assume you'd have to send it to an FFL...

Frank

Not that I know of. We are not transferring ownership and there are special rules for such an activity. I can look into it.

Like I said, don't thank me, thank AikiDale. It was his act of generosity that brings on mine. Let her shoot it like she owns it. Does she have belt and mag pouches? I can send enough mags to get her through the match.

Not that I know of. We are not transferring ownership and there are special rules for such an activity. I can look into it.

Like I said, don't thank me, thank AikiDale. It was his act of generosity that brings on mine. Let her shoot it like she owns it. Does she have belt and mag pouches? I can send enough mags to get her through the match.

Yeah... she has the belt and pouches. Actually... I have the pouches... but I have tons of them.

I've got spare holsters laying around as well...

Frank