Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Witness Project Gun:

40SWshooter

Hello to all of you.

I purchased a Full Size Steel .40 EAA WITNESS back in 2001. The first couple of years I did quite a bit with it, but the last couple of years i really haven't done anything at all with it.

I'm now again wanting to further presue this project. I'm looking for ideas and suggestions. The one big question I have is I'd like to add a scope mount. The problem is where EAA stamped the Serial number on the frame.

Most scope mounts I have seen would require me to Drill / Tap through the Serial number location, but I see so many Witness pistols with scope mounts. Has anyone else encountered this and what was the work around. ( or can u suggest a good left side mount, if single side scope mounting is adaquite. )

I filed for a variance with the ATF so that I could install a scope mount, but they said under no situations will they do that to allow me to change the location of my serial number. The mounts that EAA sells are intended to go on the bigger (cal) frame guns.

Yes I could just drill / tap 2 holes on the right side of the frame (and 4 on the left) so as to not interfere with the serial number. I don’t know…maybe. Ideas?

Is there anyway to reliablly tighten the Slide / Frame relationship?

So Ideas and Suggestions for me would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a photo and a brief Discription of what I have done so far:

It is a Full-size all Steel European American Armory 'Witness' chambered in the .40sw. Pictured here sporting a

5.25" threaded barrel with a triple-port compensator. This gun has been a fun project piece, and shoots amazingly well and accurately. It features Houge wrap-around rubber grips, complete tuning and action work, extended Safety and magazine release, all new Wolff Springs throughout and a new rear sight from Precision Sights International, LLC. ( Model TR-90-TA ??)

This gun is completely lubed and protected by Militec1 metal conditioner.

Recoil Spring has been changed to a 16# Wolff Spring with an XP Firing Pin Spring. ( Factory is 14# )

Hammer Spring Has been Reduced to a 14 # Spring. (Factory is 16# )

Barrels / Barrel Hood / feed ramps have been polished as well as other bearing surfaces. (( Trigger bar, Trigger Bar Plunger etc ))

All Magazines have +10% XP Wolff Springs & 1 has a +5% XP springs...for a performance comparison

Mag Lips have been dressed and all followers were refitted & modified.

pic2ab.jpg

Thank you for your time,

-Martin :-)

Edited by 40SWshooter

Hello!

Which side of the fame is the serial number?

There are several scope mounts that are single sided. I am using a single sided Aimpoint Comp mount on my Gold Team. It mounts on the left side. Also, the Barry C-More sight mounts on the left (http://www.henningshootsguns.com/shop/mounts.html).

It seems that RHT and MCG also make left-side only mounts for the Aimpoint Micro. You can probably have a custom mount made for a C-more or Aimpoint Micro that mounts on the right side. See my thread for ideas and pics: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...=51136&st=0

I'll Look at the "Doctor" sights. Can't quite tell how they attach to the Slide.

Serial Numbers are located on the right hand side of the frame, and being its the small Full size frame (.40) they end up being stamped right where holes would need to be drilled and tapped.

So a left side mounting scope mount would be ideal.

As is now...It fires fast & very smoothly, and Iron Sighting is VERY Accurate. DA trigger pull for first shot is so smooth... :-)

Aside from that and what I have done so far...how about any other performance details I can do? Im sure I can take this project even farther.

Again, thanks for your time,

If you can pick up a one sided EAA/Tanfoglio mount that's what I would do. Maybe go with a Weaver that way at least for the time being that would work as you could try different sights without having to switch out the mount. If in fact the newer frames are wider, I can't comment here all my guns are older ones, but I am almost positive George at EGW still has some EAA/P9 mounts, so you could give him a try too, they are one sided mounts. As far as extra additions, you could add a single action trigger, ambi-controls, maybe a new mag release, etc...The more popular these guns get, I am sure more and more accesories will head our way, and Henning is doing a great job of that. Good luck!

You can have the serial number engraved in a different spot. Just above the left grip panel works well, or on the bottom of the dust cover.

You can tighten the slide by squeezing the frame in a mill vise with smooth jaws. Do a little at a time, noting where the vise handle stops

each time and go a little more next time. You will have to lap in the rails once it's tightened. Be very careful not to go too far, it's easy

to squeeze in, but almost impossible to spread out.

Funny, when I first read the title, I thought it said:

My Witness Protection gun

LOL...Well...Your not far off there racerba...

My .40SW sits right next to a 4" .41mag revolver that either could be grabbed when there is a "bump" in the night...

no "LOL" there either...thats serious stuff!

Hmmm....I had my hopes on a c-more with a sight mount, but after seeing more on the "Doctor" sights...I'm really liking those, But are they as dependable as a c-more with a sight mount that attaches to the frame? (( As opposed to being attached to the slide ))

I can re-mill the dovetail on the slide, but can the "doctor" take the abuse from the slide "Opening and Closing" as opposed to being frame mounted?

Edited by 40SWshooter