Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Florida CCW Question

Hey all I am going to CCW tomorrow in Ohio(Springfield). They offer to process for Florida CCW for $25.00. Anyone have insight into this. I am guessing a Florida CCW is more restrictive and will include more states? I plan to pay the $25.00 since I am nearly 50 years old and may end up in Florida more frequently in my "golden years" and want to be legal.

Any info is appreciated.

The Florida permit has excellent reciprocity across the country. I have one, in addition to my Texas permit (and a Pennselvania, and a New Hampshire, and a...)

:)

The Florida requirements for the "shooting" portion are pretty easy...any NRA class (run by an NRA instructor) is good enough. I offer that as an option for people who take my Texas CHL courses, although military can just send a copy of their ID cards to bypass that training requirement ;)

Alex

Also, for FL...my read is that any competition or past military quals will meet their requirements for the shooting portion as well.

I think FL extended their permit for 5yrs to 7 yrs.

Utah is good too (I think you get one more state...WA?...than FL). It costs less, but you need to take a course (IIRC 4hrs) taught by a UTAH certified instructor. I believe there is a Utah class being offered in the Cincy/Dayton corner of Ohio

WA

WA and MN. NV used to be an extra as well, but I believe that they now accept FL as well.

FL recognizes many other states permits, but only resident permits from states that recognize FL permits - so unless you're in such a state, you'll still need FL to cover that state.

UPDATE!!

Did fingerprints and photo for Fl ccw. cost $25 Mailed application to Fl with a check for $117. Total $142 to get Fl ccw.

Advantages: good for 7 years now (Ohio good 5 years). Never need to take ccw training again to renew (Ohio need to retrain every 10 years). Managed by Fl department of Agriculture, therefore, according to the instructor, it is not in a public data base. Fl covers 33 states (Ohio 18) combined coverage 36 states.

Overall, it was a pretty good class. Not too many war stories. The funniest (scariest) thing I heard was: The instructor was talking about a cop who shot himself in the leg while tearing apart his Glock. (pulling trigger) The guy across from me looked at his wife and said, "We can vouch for that since we have a hole in our coffee table, ha ha ha". They got quite a kick out of remembering that. But it scared me to think about it. Like one poster said the class was full of people who had no business being there..

Later

Managed by Fl department of Agriculture, therefore, according to the instructor, it is not in a public data base.

The database used to be public, but "special people" (the kind who could get a carry permit under a discretionary system) could opt out; normal people could not. One of the papers published Excell spreadsheets of LTC holders from the counties in their readership area and there was some backlash that resulted in legislation making the data private.

I received a letter from the RI AG a few years ago warning me that the newspapers had brought an action to obtain the complete list of carry permit holders and, if the AG lost, my name would be provided. I think the AG won because I never heard anything more about the issue.