Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry fire & reloading drills

packapax

I just picked up my XDM today and plan to use it in production. As per some previous suggestions I'm starting some drills around the house, Draws, Double trigger Pulls and reloads. My question is: on a striker operated gun is it harmful to the gun/trigger to pull the trigger repeatedly WITHOUT it being cocked(i.e. spring wear or the like)

No it will not harm your XDM. I have over 30K rounds through mine plus who knows how many dry fire trigger pulls. The trigger returns as well as the day I bought it.

If you're still nt sure just send it to me for some free, exhaustive long-term testing. The results should be available sometime in 2013. :lol:

Edited by XD Niner

No it will not harm your XDM. I have over 30K rounds through mine plus who knows how many dry fire trigger pulls. The trigger returns as well as the day I bought it.

If you're still nt sure just send it to me for some free, exhaustive long-term testing. The results should be available sometime in 2013. :lol:

Go buy Refinement and Repetition (Steve Anderson's dryfire book) from the store here on the forum. Do it right now, before you can do stupid things like think about the purchase, or check your bank balance.

When you get it, flip through it. If you don't think it's worth the money, PM me and I'll buy it off you. Seriously.

It's not that you can't come up with decent drills on your own via searching... It's that you need structure, or you'll simply practice the same thing over and over. Plus, he made GM with these drills in, like 8 days*. They work.

* flagrant exaggeration

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I have done a dryfire or two...what I do is place a small piece of paper in the breachface to keep the slide ever so slightly out of battery. Although this will not simulate your exact trigger pull, you will be able to dryfire your ass off without needing to rack the slide, as well as simulate multiple shot drills.

Something else, you really should invest a buck or two in some dummy rounds (load them yourself or ask a friend that you trust). Practicing with "loaded" mags will better simulate what you do in matches.

+1 to picking up copies of both of Steve Anderson's books.

I have done a dryfire or two...what I do is place a small piece of paper in the breachface to keep the slide ever so slightly out of battery. Although this will not simulate your exact trigger pull, you will be able to dryfire your ass off without needing to rack the slide, as well as simulate multiple shot drills.

Does that work with most striker-fired pistols? I thought it was a Glock quirk...

PB is the Production dryfire-addict - See?

I freely admit that I got the idea from you. But I got tired of trying to explaining how to rig the Glock for dryfire, so I made a short video that I could link, rather than post a paragraph-long description. Look familiar?

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Nice video Memphis! I assume that since the internals of the XD/M&P/Glock are quite similar that this trick will work. If you (universal you) have an XD/M&P, give it a try and post it here or shoot me a pm.