Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Painting an STI grip...

kgunz11

I used airbrush paint. I was buying an airbrush kit to spray it with and was going to use automotive paint, but I asked the sales girl about the durability of the airbrush paint and she seemed to think it would hold up really well. She said they used that same paint for shirts and license plates, if lovebugs and scrubbing the love bugs off the paint doesn't mess it up or washing an airbrushed shirt, she didn't see how my hands would wear it off.

Those of you that aren't familiar with lovebugs... their fluids can eat the paint off your car if you don't wash them off regularly. It's a seasonal fly, but oh what a life they live!!!

info on the "lovebug"

Well I switched things around tonight. I think they look better like they are now. I wish I had 50 sets of grips, I could do all kinds of cool paint jobs on them. I suck as a photog and this is a cheap Sony digital camera, but here they are for your viewing pleasure.

DSC00036Large.jpg

DSC00038Large.jpg

• 1 year later...

The grip on my "go to" gun has been red/white/blue for quite some time now. No wear anywhere other than the trigger guard but I expect that as the holster is capable of actually wearing the polymer grip.

Still using the same paint, still happy with the performance, none have come back so far.

I use KG-3 Solvent and degreaser on my guns all the time. It's a lot like a brake or carb cleaner but it dries completely dry leaving no film or petroleum lubricant behind. It's absolutely amazing how well it does for cleaning a gun. Doesn't effect the paint at all.

I haven't, but I have another to do that I'll probably start on Monday. I would be doing it tomorrow but I have company here from Ohio so we're going to the beach. I'll start a thread in my Dealer Forum on it so be watching there for something to show up late Monday night. I'll go through everything from the grip reduction to the stippling and then the painting.