Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

gp100

will227457

If its a 4" gun I'd say go for it.I picked one up a while back just to tinker with and it seems pretty decent.The one thing I noticed is that Safariland speedloaders hang up a little with either the stock or Hogue grips.I've got the D/A trigger pull pretty decent using some of the tricks here:Iowegan_BOK_GP_1001.pdfJust be careful though,Ruger won't sell you any of the good parts if you screw them up.-Mike

If its a 4" gun I'd say go for it.I picked one up a while back just to tinker with and it seems pretty decent.The one thing I noticed is that Safariland speedloaders hang up a little with either the stock or Hogue grips.I've got the D/A trigger pull pretty decent using some of the tricks here:Iowegan_BOK_GP_1001.pdfJust be careful though,Ruger won't sell you any of the good parts if you screw them up.-Mike

The action is amazingly similar to a S&W unlike the older action. You can make a nice DA pull. BUT like Kframe mike said check out the parts Ruger won't sell you.

I for one am all through with Rugers. I wore out an expensive Redhawk Alpine Conversion from Hamilton Bowen. This was strictly from heavy DA manipulation of the revolver. Bowen told me it was the first one he had seen that was actually worn out from heavy DA use and NOT abuse. In reality it saw about as much use as my 625 match gun and developed some very troublesome ignition problems. Ruger DA revolvers have some potentially serious pitfalls that nobody is willing to talk about or criticize. Ruger simply does not sell certain revolver parts to anybody, and even though Bowen is one of the best revolversmiths the world has ever seen, he can not work miracles if he can not get the parts. My Redhawk was finally repaired and it IS a great gun but I now shoot it sparingly because if it ever develops the same problem again Bowen is not sure he can find the parts to fix it. I do not like the direction S&W is taking with their revolvers but I will buy a new S&W before I ever buy another Ruger.

On the other hand, if you buy a GP-100 and keep it completly stock, Ruger would be happy to service it for you if it breaks. And how many USPSA shooters use completely stock revolvers?

Dave Sinko

Great gun - and welcome to IDPA SSR!

You don't see nearly as many Ruger as S&W revolvers in IDPA, but they are certainly functional and have a reputation for ruggedness. I have never seen one fail in competition.

Best of luck,

Craig

• 1 year later...

I for one am all through with Rugers. I wore out an expensive Redhawk Alpine Conversion from Hamilton Bowen. This was strictly from heavy DA manipulation of the revolver. Bowen told me it was the first one he had seen that was actually worn out from heavy DA use and NOT abuse. In reality it saw about as much use as my 625 match gun and developed some very troublesome ignition problems. Ruger DA revolvers have some potentially serious pitfalls that nobody is willing to talk about or criticize. Ruger simply does not sell certain revolver parts to anybody, and even though Bowen is one of the best revolversmiths the world has ever seen, he can not work miracles if he can not get the parts. My Redhawk was finally repaired and it IS a great gun but I now shoot it sparingly because if it ever develops the same problem again Bowen is not sure he can find the parts to fix it. I do not like the direction S&W is taking with their revolvers but I will buy a new S&W before I ever buy another Ruger.

On the other hand, if you buy a GP-100 and keep it completly stock, Ruger would be happy to service it for you if it breaks. And how many USPSA shooters use completely stock revolvers?

Dave Sinko

Uh, I do. Then again I am one for the road less traveled. I doubt that you will ever come across another competitor that uses a Ruger Alaskan loaded with .45 Colt in competition. I don't like the S&W 625 I have as much as my Ruger Alaskan.

Dave Sinko

Uh, I do. Then again I am one for the road less traveled. I doubt that you will ever come across another competitor that uses a Ruger Alaskan loaded with .45 Colt in competition. I don't like the S&W 625 I have as much as my Ruger Alaskan.

Blue, when are you going to send the cylinder off and get it cut for moonclips? Then you could shoot that wimpy .45ACP load and get all your brass back :P

Blue, when are you going to send the cylinder off and get it cut for moonclips? Then you could shoot that wimpy .45ACP load and get all your brass back :P

I have considerted it, but have decided against it. I am not to a point that I have achieved all that I believe that I can with the Alaskan as it is. If I even get to the point that I feel that I need the change, then I will likely get another Alaskan to have the work done on. Even then I'll likely use moonclipped .45 Colt, as I came across moonclips made for them.

Edited by Flexmoney
to fix quote tags

I have both, and prefer the GP100 to my 686. I did do the trigger on mine & replace the springs. Actually, I did that with both of them. The GPs cylinder seems to index quicker in double action shooting. I've never weighed them, but I suspect the GP has a heavier cylinder. If you want to see a double-action shooting machine, try a Super Redhawk. Mines a monster! I'm saving up for an Alaskan to keep it company.