Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge

Steve Anderson

shred,

So, most shot some kind of 1911 conversion like the Marvel (or one of the many that Patrick Sweeney wrote an article about a while back)?

Was there any brand/type of .22 ammo that was preferred? I know that the .22's are picky, any brand stand out?

Sorry for all the newbie questions. I am trying to cypher whether people figure out what works on an individual basis, or if there is a setup that is somewhat of a standard.

Oh...at our local steel match, we shoot 5 runs and toss out the slowest. Same at the Challenge?

It's hard to say if there was a 'GM Standard Issue' .22 for the Challenge. Marvels (in both single-stack and fat-mag) were somewhat popular and the buzz was that Bob's getting them up to Challenge levels of reliability now, as much as it pains him to lose 1/4" of accuracy at 50 yards. He had a new chamber reamer made up to make them more reliable for steel. If you order one, tell him what you want it for and he'll recut it before it ships. Downside to those is pricy magazines you really need five of. Great guy and sponsor which makes me feel much better about buying them. I didn't see any non-1911 conversions that I remember.

The biggest problem was range dust.. it's fine and gets into everything. That and bad Juju caused most every .22 except the revos to jam at one point or another. Even the ones that never jam jammed. Even the Super Squad .22's jammed (of course they may have traded some reliability for familiarity of grip, sights and trigger)

Ammo was all over the place. The Remington Golden BB's (or whatever the gold looking ones are called) were probably the most common since they're cheap, reliable and fairly clean for .22 ammo. I shot CCI mini-mag solids because they worked best for me in practice.

PC 627 .38 Super w/ a C-More. It appeared to be as it comes from the factory, though I'm sure there were trigger mods, etc. (didn't notice if the hammer was bobbed, however). Definitely an 8-shot N-frame, black cylinder, red, white and blue grips, tapered underlug.