Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching Primer Sizes - 550

In the process of switching over from large primers to small primers. I made the assumption that If I simply pulled the primer insert magazine from the feeder tube that the primers left would come out with the feed tube. Obviously that is not what happened. I now have about 30 primers stacked up inside and assume I am going to have to dissasemble it to remove them.

What is the proper way to remove unused primers from the 550 so I don't have this problem in the future when converting between sizes.

Thanks

When I am getting to the end of a reloading session where I need to change out the primer system:

1) I plan to run out of primers first. That way, the primer mag is empty and you don't have to dump them on the floor, loose them and have them explode in the vacuum cleaner at a later date. Unless, of course, you like playing mine field in your reloading room.

2) Hand-cycle the feeder and grab them one at a time prior to dropping them on the floor,

3) You can unbolt the whole mechanism and carefully dump them on the floor all at once.

Perhaps 1 is the best approach :rolleyes:

Not being a smart-ass, just speaking from experience.

Later,

Chuck

achtung_minen.jpg

I also try to run out when I plan to switch, but failing that, I remove the spring from the primer bar underneath, remove the old primer catch container, remove both bolts from underneath (while holding the tube), then carefully dump them out the top and back into my primer pickup tray to load them back into a primer pickup tube.

Thanks.. I was having so much fun I ran out of cases before I realized it. Decided to switch calibers and ended up in this situation..

I hear you on the primers through the vacuum. I used to reload in the house and had that happen once.

I did a little studying of the setup and was actually able to unbolt the setup and remove them without dropping any of them. Now I know better.

Thanks again for the help

Explain the situation to the better half. Then tell them the merits of having a second 550.

Two machines...one for small and one for large. You're gonna have to change the casefeeder anyway. Might as well mention the KISS bulletfeeder too. One for each ya'now. Less time messing with the machines and more time for them.

It's a win win.

Edited by Caspian_45

I would try... but she "forced" me to trade a gun just to get this one. I don't want to get a bad trend going here. In my 42 years I have sold two guns....

A walther .22 that everyone but me coluld get to feed consistently, and the calico M900 that had issues as well. Now if the vacuum happens to blow up again...

The casefeeder on the other hand is only a brick of .223 these days.