Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Legal Problems if You Move While Your Gun is at the Gunsmith's?

All - I'm going to send the Commander from Hell to Benny Hill for him to unscrew. I'm also in the process of relocating to the New Orleans area. Are there any legal problems if I send him the gun from one location and have him return it to me at another one? Rationally, the gun is returning to its owner so there shouldn't be, but we're talking laws here, not reason.

TIA!

All - I'm going to send the Commander from Hell to Benny Hill for him to unscrew. I'm also in the process of relocating to the New Orleans area. Are there any legal problems if I send him the gun from one location and have him return it to me at another one? Rationally, the gun is returning to its owner so there shouldn't be, but we're talking laws here, not reason.

TIA!

My uninformed guess:

As long as it goes back to you, probably OK. If you move to a different state, has to go through an in-state FFL.

But I'm no authority.

I was under the "impression" that if you send a gun To Your Gunsmith for repairs you did not have to utilize an FFL for the transfer to and from...?

That's the way I understand it. I'm just wondering if the fact that it's returning to a different address (same state) makes any difference.

You just need to send him a letter stating that you have moved to a new location and put your old address and your new address on the letter for him to send the pistol to. He will keep the letter on hand to cover any ATF regs showing the pistol went back to its rightful owner even though it is a different address.