Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SEC RULES

Bwana Six-Gun

Check the scores between USC and Auburn in '02 & '03.

Rich

Yep. Auburn didn't even make the SEC championship game in '02 & '03, and they had 4 1st-round drafters after the perfect '04 season. For some reason, Jason Campbell was always a mediocre quarterback until his senior year.

LSU won the BCS title in '03, though, while USC had to settle for the AP title. USC is consistently the most dominant team in their conference, while in ours, it changes almost every year. I'm not saying that Auburn would have won in '04, just that a 13-0 team in a major BCS conference deserves their shot. In the past few years, the SEC champ, like USC, usually wins the title when they are given the opportunity.

ETA - Any team that has a legitimate argument should get their chance, and that includes USC and Utah at the very least for 2008. I would have been a lot more concerned for Florida had they played USC instead of Oklahoma.

Edited by chemepharmd

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember thought that LSU team beat an Oklahoma team that didn't win the Big-12. Kansas State whooped their ass in the Big-12 championship game and still somehow is in the BCS championship game? Now you know why a lot of folks dislike the Big-12 and the media's love affair with it.

As for "settling for the AP". The USA Today Coaches' Poll is contractually obligated to vote the same as the BCS when it comes to the National Champion. The AP does not have that requirement and saw that USC was deserving of at least a share of the title that year given that they were the #1 ranked team (LSU #2, OU #3) and destroyed the #4 team (Michigan) in the Rose Bowl.

And when it comes to draft picks, we don't want to compare programs.

Rich

Hey Rich,

If you could talk USC into going idependant, like Notre Dame then USC could get all the TV time and press goo goo gaa gaa that N.D. gets (NOT deservidly so either).

THEN USC might get a shot at the National Title game. otherwise you're just going to have to get into a tougher conference to get better attention (just the way it is)

I think each conference should have a champion, and then those play the other conference champs until there is one standing (look at all those $$$$)

but that is too easy of a solution. <_<

Hop

Hey Sam,

Don't even get me started on Notre Dame and the BCS contract that's in place for them getting BCS bowl eligible.

That said, 5-0 in the bowl season, and not against slouch teams (or at least teams from conferences more loved by the media), is pretty strong statement. University of Washington just scored USC's offensive and defensive coordinators. The offensive coordinator is going to be UW's new head coach. Steve Sarkisian is the ONLY person besides Lane Kiffin and Norm Chow...that understands Norm Chow's offense (which is what USC has run since Pete Carroll came to Troy). On top of that both Steve Sarkisian and Nick Holt are both AWESOME recruiters. UW is a prime school for kids to attend as it has history as a quality program, it's in a big city and academically it's second to no one.

So...while we've had a great run (and currently again have the #1 recruiting class in the country), it's going to be some rough years ahead for 'SC.

Rich

ETA: Conference champions from each of the 12 (including independent) Division-I conferences are into a 16 team tournament (so four more games in the season). The last 4 slots are at large picks by the BCS computers. The first round is a home game for the higher ranked team with appropriate corporate sponsorship and bowl name. Each subsequent round is played at a neutral location (i.e. the bowls) and the final four and the championship game are split between the 3 major bowls (Rose, Orange and Fiesta) and rotated each year from championship game $$$. This is how it needs to be resolved.

I will add though that with 4 extra games in the season, I would not have the teams play every team in their region/conference. That would rotate like in year's past. Conference Championship games would only be available to the conferences that want them. Overall though, the point is that the "regular season" number of games would have to be reduced. Not by much. Just 1-2 games that way the schools that wouldn't go to the bowls still have an opportunity to use the games as a revenue, recruiting, marketing resource without pinching their pockets 'cause they're a small program and didn't have enough home games to make money.

Edited by uscbigdawg

OK, Rich, you've made a believer out of me. Now I need some help. Living in the South, there are way too many SEC fans who know a lot of the stats, and I don't. What they always bring up is national championships, and covering first-round draft choices would be nice, too.

Do you know how many national championships the PAC-10 has in the past? Also, how many different schools in the conference have championship titles? Alabama fans always bring up their sheer number of national championships, and there are others, such as Florida, LSU and Tennessee, who have more recent ones. Thank you for your help.

'SC's got like 8 (I think). I'm sure Alabama has more. Michigan too. The Big-10 I'm sure has the most overall of conferences.

Florida, LSU & Tennessee are all recent BCS champions. SEC is actually 5-0 in BCS Championship games. The issue with any BCS game though is who did you play and how did they get there.

Rich

From Wikipedia:

Officially the NCAA does not officially name a National Champion for their Football Bowl Subdivision "FBS" (formerly known as Division I-A). They rely on outside organizations to name a National Champion. Currently that organization is the Bowl Championship Series. The team with the most BCS National Titles is Louisiana State University (LSU) with two. The BCS has been around for 10 years, so if that is what you would consider "modern era" that is your easy answer.

Other than that, really the only thing you can do is look at All Time National Championships. Before the BCS, there were a plethora of National polls and rankings, so there was no clear national champion every single year before 1998.

As for all time champions... Alabama claims the most all-time with 12. Notre Dame and Michigan both claim 11 and Ohio State, Oklahoma, Southern Cal all claim 7.

So there you have it.

War Eagle.

Tony

Tony,

I'm sure you know this, but be careful when using the word "claim" around some Alabama fans. I used that word at work one time, and the guy got so mad I almost had to fight him. Some people take their college football way too seriously.

Tony,

I'm sure you know this, but be careful when using the word "claim" around some Alabama fans. I used that word at work one time, and the guy got so mad I almost had to fight him. Some people take their college football way too seriously.

Thanks for the warning but I didn't write it.

I just did a little cut and paste from Wikipedia.

Bama fans have been known to be a little touchy about their team.

However, I refuse to rewrite the encyclopedia just to it to make it more palatable to the bammers.

Anybody that wants to fight over something like that needs to get a life.