Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9MM revolvers

Jim Norman

Yeah, well, I hear what you're saying John, and maybe it's the chamber throats as much as the barrel itself, but I can tell you first-hand that running 9mm 115-gr. stuff out of my 627-4 (with the star modified to accommodate 9mm as well as .38 Super) did not result in very good accuracy. Heavier bullets were somewhat better, presumably because of the greater bearing surface. A couple years ago Rob Leatham (of all people!) was on here talking about the same thing.

I guess what I'm saying, in the macro sense, is that I don't trust S&W to get it right. And if they do actually get it basically right, it will be a Performance Center gun costing $1,200 that will still need a bunch of work to be shootable.

Mike,

Good point, I had forgot about the chamber throats. they definitely have a influence on the accuracy whatever size they are. Revolvers are very complicated machines. It's amazing they can sell them as cheaply as they do.

Another variable in the equation, that in my opinion, has as much, or more effect on the accuracy is the twist in the rifling. I'm not sure that the S&W barrels are the same or different in 9mm vs. 357.

I had a Mod. 14 (S&W) 6" (1979made) gun that was not spectactular. About a 2"/2.5" at 25yds out of a ransom rest. It would shoot about an inch better with 124 gr. 9mm RN bullets, but still not great for 50 yd Distinguest Revolver matches at Canp Perry.

I'd better go to bed, I can't type, or spell tonight. ---See you latter-JWB

Years I used up about 1500 9mm Rem 115gr JHP's by loading them in .38 special cases. I shot them all through a couple Model 10's and a model 36. Accuracy was just fine, but getting reliable ignition took me a bit a fiddling. I suppose it was probably a bad combination of bullet/powder/load, but I had to keep reducing the COAL (till they almost looked like they were seated too deep) and use a heavy crimp to finally stop the squibs. I still have a box or two left and I still don't trust them to shoot fast DA with.

Not to make you guys jealous, but I have the S&W 4" 38 super- 6 shot- with both a 38 super cylinder and a Pinnacle rebored cylinder for 9x23 which of course means I can shoot 9x19.

The only problem I have with the 9mm (uses TK cheapo moon clips as the S&W are too tight for the wider based 9mm), is the extra jump into the forcing cone. Reloads at 25 meters will see a periodic tumbling. Not as common at shorter ranges. Factory ammo is fine. The tumbling I attribute to the reloads not being quite perfect and the unguided jump before engaging the forcing cone, probably at an angle.

I use 9mm for practise as they are actually rejects from my 9 mm 1911 which has a Barsto barrel. The cylinder on it is cut to very tight tolerances so any reloads which flunk the barrel test go into the revolver box.

Not to make you guys jealous, but I have the S&W 4" 38 super- 6 shot- with both a 38 super cylinder and a Pinnacle rebored cylinder for 9x23 which of course means I can shoot 9x19.

The only problem I have with the 9mm (uses TK cheapo moon clips as the S&W are too tight for the wider based 9mm), is the extra jump into the forcing cone. Reloads at 25 meters will see a periodic tumbling. Not as common at shorter ranges. Factory ammo is fine. The tumbling I attribute to the reloads not being quite perfect and the unguided jump before engaging the forcing cone, probably at an angle.

I use 9mm for practise as they are actually rejects from my 9 mm 1911 which has a Barsto barrel. The cylinder on it is cut to very tight tolerances so any reloads which flunk the barrel test go into the revolver box.

coldchar, I may be wrong but I doubt that the tumbling is caused by the jump to the forcing cone. I have a 686 357 cut to shoot the 38 super and there is a good jump to the forcing cone but my bullets do ot tumble. I plan on gettng a box of WW 9mm and do some testing with the guns I have. I have already shot a box of the 124 but all I checked was the velocities. I will check to see if there is any 147 grainers to be had. I'll share any news good or bad with you guys. later rdd

If the "jump to the forcing cone" were truly a problem, it's tough to explain the success quite a few people are having .38 Short Colt loads being shot out of .357 Mag. chambers....

+1 since I shoot nothing but .40 S&W in my 610, and have not had problems with the big jump to the barrel.