Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Contrasting color magwell?

Revopop

I'm looking at single stacks, and most that I'm considering will need a magwell added on. I'm leaning toward the S&A style, but also considering the Techwell. The thought occurred to me that it might be helpful to have it be the opposite color of the gun to kind of draw my eyes toward it for a reload, like a stainless magwell on a blued gun or vice versa. I know it probably wouldn't look quite as nice, but if you're looking at where the magwell meets the frame as Brian suggests, wouldn't that be a helpful way to do it? Anybody have their single stack set up this way?

Dawson Ice inserts are white. The outside of the well is black or silver flip the gun up and the inside is white.

Dont you hate that, come up with a really great idea all on your own and then figure out sombody else has allready done it. :lol:

You know, that's not a bad idea. I currently shoot Production but have been accumulating some used gear that I can use to shoot L10 starting sometime towards the end of the year.

I picked up a THE brass magwell for my G35 and was thinking about blackening it. But after reading this, I'm thinking it may be worth blackening the outside but leaving the inside as is.

I'm a fan of the S&A or small Techwell style and I painted the inside right side of the well with dayglow yellow as a reminder to look at the mag well. If I couldn't remember the yellow being blocked out by the mag, I knew I wasn't concentrating enough.

I put a simple white stripe dead center in the magwell to draw my eyes to it. Seems to work pretty well. I use ladies french tip nail polish (wife's idea) and it's tough as nails, pun intended. :lol:

KimberSV.jpg

Gary, if you have time to download, show him your stainless gun with the big honking contrasting blue magwell. I think that gun looks awesome and your eye is definitely drawn to the magwell. :cheers:

Edit: I forgot, a photo is in the Gallery/Single Stack Photo Thread/ Post #301.

Edited by baerburtchell

If you are shooting a blued gun, get a silver magwell. Problem solved. I am using a blued gun with a black magwell. I have been experiencing some of my best reloads with a SS since I started using the TechWell. Maybe the silver ring around the magwell is helping??

SSTKbasepad04.jpg

Alot of good suggestions. The most that I have seen are off color dots like the white one above. I think the dots get's your eye to focus more towards the center but I like the idea of the silver ring probably more because it looks cool ! My preferance would be to go with the dots, alot less to look for but then again it depends on what you get used too.

The set up I have on my Single Stack is exactly what you're thinking of doing. I have a Kimber Series 1 blued Classic Gold Match with a S & A silver magwell/mainspring housing. I did it for the same reason...something bright to catch my attention when reloading. So far I like it.

As for the "odd" color scheme I'm fixing that by making the "theme" of my gun a black/silver one. I've got a pair of VZ grips Blasted Black Canvas, which are silver as well as an Ed Brown extended/oversized mag release, also in stainless steel. Next on to add are a stainless slide stop and stainless ambi safety. I'm still debating though whether to leave the grip safety blue to change that that to SS as well. But I like the two tone effect I'm working on. As soon as I get the rest done I'll post a picture. So there's my 2 cents...

When I came up with my "barber pole" my thinking was that I wanted contrasting colors that stood out. My mind was reminded of the yellow and black warning paint that is common around garages at big industrial buildings and warehouses.

Yellow and black wouldn't work for me with the magwell...as my gun was already black. I wanted two colors..that were different. Red and white worked well for contrast (and were handy...in the girlfriend's fingernail polish stash).

I went for the size that I did because it's all about seeing and locating the magwell.

One might prefer to pick a specific spot to visually locate. If so, I'd play with the colors. I'd likely go with white for a background stripe (which is different than my dark gun) and then a red "spot" that I'd want to visually hit/locate.

I put a simple white stripe dead center in the magwell to draw my eyes to it. Seems to work pretty well. I use ladies french tip nail polish (wife's idea) and it's tough as nails, pun intended. :lol:

KimberSV.jpg

I did something similar with a silver sharpie on my the black insert of my Dawson.