Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Load for Disabled Shooter

kylethunder380

Here is the info I dug out last night.

I tested Clays using 147gr Remington JHP and FMJ FP bullets:

3.00gr Clays, 1.10 OAL, avg PF 128

3.20gr Clays, 1.15 OAL, avg PF 137

There was no appreciable difference in performance between the JHP and the FMJ. I did get better overall SDs with the lighter load, which may be due to either the charge or the OAL. In both cases, I got a nice smooth function in my Glock 19.

In your situation I would lean toward 147-gr. bullets with one of the faster burning powders. Something like N310 or N320 would be the ticket if your pocketbook can afford it. Check out the burn charts and choose a powder toward the faster end of the scale. Heavy bullets/fast powders tend to give considerably "softer" i.e. slower recoil than lighter bullets/slower powders.

If it comes right down to it, don't be afraid to go to a lighter recoil spring, or even a lighter mainspring, to get your gun to cycle with a light load.

I'm with Duane on this.

3.6gr - 3.8gr N320 under the 147gr Plated CMJ.

Just for future reference, what would be the best (least snappy/recoiling) load with the lighter 115gr bullets? If prices keep going up I may have to order the 115gr's for my next order of bullets. Would Clays be a good choice here as well?

FWIW, I load some powder puff loads with 4.0 grains Solo-1000 under 115's. Cycles a G-35 with 15 Lb. spring just fine, never tried it with stock 17 Lb. Very soft, quiet load with decent accuracy.