Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627-4 .38 super

6-shot

I have not been able to get the desired accuacy out of 38 colt cases.

Y'know, maybe there's some variation from gun to gun on this, but my .38 Short Colt loads shoot perfectly fine in all three of my 8-shooters. In every case, the intrinsic accuracy is more than I can benefit from in a real-world competition scenario. I suspect there's an incompatibility with the particular load you tried.

One of these days when it warms up I need to get together with DougC for some scientific testing with my Ranson Rest, and we can sort this stuff out once and for all. I firmly believe we will confirm what I've already seen in my personal guns--that good .38 Short Colt loads will shoot quite accurately in most any .357-chambered revolver.

You can have some of mine until Mike gets back.......LOL

My accuracy load is Zero .356 JRN 3.1gr VV310 Fed small primer OAL 1.130

In my Short Colt gun with .355 barrel.....under 2inches at 50yds with short cylinder

In my 627 with .357 cylinder and .3565 diameter bore Mo 28 6 1/2 in barrel....around 3inches at 50yds

This is using moonclips all the time, not single loading them. It does make a difference.

At 25yds and in for steel I have used Montana Gold 147s with the same load and there was no difference.

I have loaded Lead 147s with around 2.5gr Titegroup or so, but damn was it dirty and a lot of smoke(next batch will be SOLO 1000.....).

I honestly havent worked up another load because this does everything I need done, and am somewhat lazy... :roflol:

I had a 627 Super, and with the short colt....I honestly dont miss it, except when I see the prices they are going for right now....LOL

Think of the short colt as a big rimmed 9x19 case, and you can use the load data for 9x19 loads for it.

It has taken me a couple of years, but I have built up my collection of Hearthco moon clips for it, and that is all I use for ths cartridge in the games I play.

I know it flys in the face of conventional wisdom, but the Short Colt shoots well in the long cylinders too.....

Good luck,

DougC

Can you share you recipe?
my .38 Short Colt loads shoot perfectly fine in all three of my 8-shooters.

It won't do you any good because it involved a bullet that is no longer being sold (Bushwhacker 125-gr. RNL sized .357). I shot up the rest of my supply this past year and need to develop another load. For the record, I used Titegroup powder (can't remember how much, and I'm at the office so I can't check) and of course Starline brass, and plenty of crimp.

In my Short Colt gun with .355 barrel.....under 2inches at 50yds with short cylinder

In my 627 with .357 cylinder and .3565 diameter bore Mo 28 6 1/2 in barrel....around 3inches at 50yds

This is using moonclips all the time, not single loading them. It does make a difference.

At 25yds and in for steel I have used Montana Gold 147s with the same load and there was no difference.

I have loaded Lead 147s with around 2.5gr Titegroup or so, but damn was it dirty and a lot of smoke(next batch will be SOLO 1000.....).

I honestly havent worked up another load because this does everything I need done, and am somewhat lazy... :roflol:

I had a 627 Super, and with the short colt....I honestly dont miss it, except when I see the prices they are going for right now....LOL

Think of the short colt as a big rimmed 9x19 case, and you can use the load data for 9x19 loads for it.

It has taken me a couple of years, but I have built up my collection of Hearthco moon clips for it, and that is all I use for ths cartridge in the games I play.

I know it flys in the face of conventional wisdom, but the Short Colt shoots well in the long cylinders too.....

Good luck,

DougC

Doug, any lighter bullet info ?? (have I asked that before ?)

myself I've only got the 150+ weights to give any accuracy, jacket 125's doubled in group size,

my 100-95 grain steel loads look like shotgun patterns :blink:

Oh I know ! ! ! maybe I should try Taylor throating with the light bullets :goof:

TonyT ?? what loads where you shooting ?? bullet weight info I'm mainly interested in,

I tried a bunch of light bullets in SC and LC and went back to 38 spcls.

BTW, Bubber's 160 grn Molly RN over 2.8-2.9 grns of Clays load in a super length case is outstanding

(was that Billy Bullets or Bear Creak Bubber ?? )

I'm out, Merry Christmas to all !

Good luck,

DougC

myself I've only got the 150+ weights to give any accuracy, jacket 125's doubled in group size,

Oh I know ! ! ! maybe I should try Taylor throating with the light bullets :goof:

TonyT ?? what loads where you shooting ?? bullet weight info I'm mainly interested in,

BTW, Bubber's 160 grn Molly RN over 2.8-2.9 grns of Clays load in a super length case is outstanding

I tried afew loads afew years ago with 130 gr. Star FMJ's and 158gr. Berry's plated. I obtained a lot of "shotgun" patterns rather than groups so I did not record the data. Given the pace at which I shoot the 38 Special loads work well in my 8 shot 327 and 627. Howver If I had to go to a single gun it would be the dream gun I outlined in a previous post - 8 shot 38 Super, stainless frame, titanium cylinder and barrel shroud over a stainless Walther barrel.

Good luck,

DougC

Billy Bullets Dave, Merry Christmas back at ya...later rdd