Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Ideas About P16-40

jkelly

Shoot it for a while to make sure it really, really works!

Then . . .

trigger with whatever parts your FLG likes

a short trigger if you have stumpy fingers

a steel mag catch if it doesn't already have one

A good magwell blended to the frame

a nice tight barrel bushing fitted

fiber optic front sight

Here is what I have done to mine since I bought it 2 yrs ago.

1. Fiber-optic front sight.

2. Dawson No-Fit mag well. (Requires minor fitting, but is very nice and fits tight.)

3. Steel mag catch w/ extended button.

4. Stipled factory grips( used saudering iron)

5. Trigger job, 2.5#

6. Opened up and polished feed ramp for better feeding.

7. Dawson extended base pads for 20 rd. mags(4 of them)

8. 14# recoil spring to replace factory that felt like 18#

9. Wilson Combat shock buffs. Have had no problems with functioning.

I have a barrel ordered (Bar-Sto) for it. Accuracy isn't the best with anything. Probably adaquate for IPSC but I am a perfectionist when it comes to accuracy.

Hope this helps guide you. TXAG

Here's the list of what I had done to mine.

Nowlin Bull Barrel fitted, throated, and crowned.

Tungsten Guide Rod

Fiber Optic Front Sight

Bomar Rear sight

De-series 80'd

trigger job at 3 lbs

17 lbs mainspring

12.5 lbs recoil spring with shock buffs

Dawson Ice Magwell

GunCraft stainless mag catch (largest button I could find)

Ed Brown Wide/Extended Ambi - custom contoured

Stainless Mainspring Housing

breechface polished

action smoothed out/poilished

I'm running pre-ban mags with Dawson pads and ISMI springs. I can typically go 21+1,,,,but depending on the stage I usually load 19 or 20.

H4444

Rino,

Thanks for the quick reply. Any recommendations of specific models or manufactures?

Thanks Again,

jkelly

trigger job with whatever parts your FLG likes - STI hammers and sears are really good ... lots of excellent choices available, but I'd go with STI parts as sort of a "standard" and reasonable prices for hammer, sear, disconnector, sear spring.

a short trigger if you have stumpy fingers - the King's short trigger is my favorite because it's the shortest I've found!

a steel mag catch if it doesn't already have one - any ... GunCraft, Ed Brown, etc.

A good magwell blended to the frame - I've seen many, but if it's blended and hogged-out properly, I really like the S&A combination flat mainspring housing and full mag well

a nice tight barrel bushing fitted - I have Wilson's on most of my guns that have had them replaced, but that's a coinicidence.. in any case, getting a new bushing properly fitted can really help the accuracy of most factory guns with the investment involved in getting a new barrel fitted. Both of my Paras have factory barrels, but they shoot a lot better since I had new bushings fit a few years ago.

fiber optic front sight - Dawson or Brazos . . . I'd get the 0.090 wide version

On base pads . . . I only can speak for .45ACP, but my brother has a bunch of them with Gramms basepads and they all hold 18 rounds and function 100%! I would assume the .40S&W would receive the same benefits, but I dunno!

I have two of said blasters. Both I have set up for limited/limited 10. They both run really good but I would have to agree with Chriss G. Unless you know a person with a para set up just the way you want and it runs perfect AND you can use his smith, send it to a pro. Not sure what EGW will charge to make it work right, but to save some jack you can opt for function over beauty.

Try and find someone with the listed improvements or at least some of them. If you can decide what you like before you buy you won't have to buy twice!!!

my .02

my mag catch spring is what ever came with the Dawson mag catch. I dump mags because my grip is right over the top of it and with that big button under my finger I end up pushing it... out comes the mag. I just pull it off so I don't do it. I actually threaded it all the way in and then cut the bottom round half off. That helped. It is a fairly heavy spring. TXAG

First I'd like to thank you for all the great advice you gave me!

I've decided on the following for my Para P16-40:

1) Dawson Ice Magwell

2) Dawson Fiber Optic front sight (indoor)

3) Dawson Steel Mag release with over sized button

4) Dawson Long trigger

5) Dawson extended base pads

6) One piece Tungston recoil rod

7) Trigger Job, I'm leaning toward 3 lbs, but I'll see what the gun smith suggests.

I'm holding off on the match barrel and match bushing until I shoot the gun more.

The parts are on order as of this evening and I will deliver them to David Santorri, a Pawtucket RI gunsmith, when I receive them.

I know I'd like to get a larger ambi. saftey, Wilson perhaps? Any other ideas?

Thanks Again,

jkelly

I know I'd like to get a larger ambi. saftey, Wilson perhaps? Any other ideas?

The Ed Brown wide ambis are the best. After you get them fitted to your gun, you can contour them with files and sand paper to fit your hands/thumb like they were made specifically for you.