Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Critique Video

Rob D

One of the guys in my squad filmed me on a couple stages at the Oklahoma LPR sectional back in september.

Here are the videos:

The camera angle isn't ideal, but I could really use some constructive criticism. One of the first and most obvious things I noticed was how slowly I moved between positions. I'm going to start doing some box to box drills with my dryfire routine to help with this. I just started competitive shooting in april, so I'm just now learning all the basics and I have plenty to work on. Please point out any areas for improvement that you notice.

Also, the huge hesitation in the second video at the first position was because I noticed a bullet hole right in the head of the no-shoot and decided to take the make-up shot.

Thanks in advance.

One of the guys in my squad filmed me on a couple stages at the Oklahoma LPR sectional back in september.

Here are the videos:

The camera angle isn't ideal, but I could really use some constructive criticism. One of the first and most obvious things I noticed was how slowly I moved between positions. I'm going to start doing some box to box drills with my dryfire routine to help with this. I just started competitive shooting in april, so I'm just now learning all the basics and I have plenty to work on. Please point out any areas for improvement that you notice.

Also, the huge hesitation in the second video at the first position was because I noticed a bullet hole right in the head of the no-shoot and decided to take the make-up shot.

Thanks in advance.

Hard for me to comment on the actual shooting because I'm learning myself, but on the second video after the first array you walked for an extended period (about 5 or 6 steps) with the gun fully extended before stopping and taking the shot. I probably would have either taken the shot earlier or dismounted the gun and sprinted to my next shooting position. The at 18-20 second mark after shooting through that left side port you walked forward to your next shooting position again.

Basically if you can walk, you can run. What has been working for me trying to be faster and and more efficient when I'm NOT shooting. Instead of coasting through positions go hard on the gas leaving a position and harder on the brakes entering a position no matter the distance. The time saved I try to use on the sights to get my points!

If you have been shooting regularly since the Nationals, I bet you can see your own improvements since then. My take is more experience will yeild more speed. Your basics look ok and I won't try to tell you every little thing you could have improved on those stages. My advice is to film yourself on a few stages every so often and note the improvements. The fine tuning will come soon enough. :cheers:

Basically if you can walk, you can run. What has been working for me trying to be faster and and more efficient when I'm NOT shooting. Instead of coasting through positions go hard on the gas leaving a position and harder on the brakes entering a position no matter the distance. The time saved I try to use on the sights to get my points!

Thanks. That's the first thing I noticed too. I've improved a little on my movement since this video was shot, but I have plenty to learn. It's been a several years since I competed in anything physical so I think I can pick up a lot of speed just getting into better shape and practice sprint drills like suicides. I also have about 30lbs (40 in the video) to lose, but I'm working on that right now.

Buy Matt Burkett video and train!!

I think I'll try that. I've been reading Brian's book, and practicing with Steve Anderson's but being able to watch someone actually perform the movements would help a lot.

If you have been shooting regularly since the Nationals, I bet you can see your own improvements since then. My take is more experience will yeild more speed. Your basics look ok and I won't try to tell you every little thing you could have improved on those stages. My advice is to film yourself on a few stages every so often and note the improvements. The fine tuning will come soon enough. :cheers:

I have been shooting regularly since then and can definitely see a lot of bad habits that I'm already addressing. The few times I've been able to get video of my shooting it has been tremendously helpful. I tend to feel like I'm moving really fast when I'm shooting, then when I watch it I'm thinking, "Wow, that looks slow."

Thanks to everyone and keep it coming! If anyone was wondering, this is what the nationals stages looked like 2 weeks after nationals (note the dried up mud pits).

• 4 weeks later...

Here's some new video from a match I shot last Saturday:

Right away I noticed that I never really get set up on the texas start in the second position. My right foot is back, which means my index is off to the right somewhere. The second thing I noticed is that it took me way to long to finish the final position since it was only 3 targets at 5-6 yards(granted, they were arranged around a no-shoot). I think I'm going to start doing some super close range practice for speed using very small targets.

Any criticisim is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It looks pretty solid to me. I think that you could save time by calling your shots on the steel so you can move onto the next target faster. You could also engage the steel in a different order that minimizes needing to wait for the big popper to fall before you get the two smaller ones. For example, in the first shooting postion on the right, you could have shot the big popper first, then the plate and by the time you are done with the plate the little poppers would have been exposed and ready to engage. As you did it, you had to wait for the big popper to drop and get out of the way before engaging the smaller poppers then the plate last. Your running from box 2 to 3 is a little half harted. That is a good distanct to travel and you should really get after it when running to the last box. If the targets were fairly close in the last box you could enter the box shooting right away and allow your body weight to continue to travel through the shooting box as you finish engaging the targets. If they are easy shots, then speed is key and you shouldnt need an ultra perfect shooting stance. The only other thing I could see was waiting to engage the targets or move out of the shooting box too long. As soon as your first foot enters the shooting box you should be engaging the first target, then as you are engaging the last target for that shooting area you should be already moving out of the box. For example, I can see a GM shooting the first shooting box in one smooth body motion from right to left engaging the steel as he is exiting the box. This takes supreme confidence in your shooting ability though If you miss the steel as you are exiting and have to come back to get it you will lose a lot more time than just standing there shooting until the hits are confirmed. But that is why they are GM's right :)