Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45ACP with 255 Lead SWC

BamBam

I have some 255 SWC lead bullets that I have been looking to experiment with.  Around the house I have VV3n37, W231, Titegroup, and Clays powders.  

Any suggestions for load data using components already in hand?

It is a basic rule of reloading that you should choose your powder to meet the needs of the load, not choose a load based on what powder you have available.

I loaded 255gr LSWC for bowling  pins several years ago to power factors 230 and above, and used them in two semi-auto 1911s and a S&W 625. Not a load I'd want to use all the time (for my sake and the life of my guns), but it scared the pins off the table!

Try Universal Clays / Unique. It's a powder that's been used for years to propel heavy-bullet loads, and works well.

255s in .45 ACP for Bowling pins - I tried that  a few years back too! I  generally agree w/ Jeff that selecting components for the need st hand is that way to go - HOWEVER, for my expirament a few years back,  the only data I could find for that load WITH a powder for sale around here - was Win 231 data out of a Lee manual. Buying the "right" powder was not an option. I was not going to spend $15 dollars to try out a powder, pay another $17 for hazmat, and wait a week or two all for the sake of an expirament I could do with components I had on hand.  I have long advocated the use of modern powders like V V, Vectan, some Hodgdon powders, etc., but I realize from my net experience that shooters seem to follow the concept of "If the powder is not for sale within driving distance, then its not for sale as far as I am concerned!" - so much for pitching the virtues of modern powder.

Anyway, it was Lee approved data for lead 255s, in my case, Bul-X brand 255 FP that feature a distinct crimping groove - so that groove is where I set OAL (believe it matched OAL in manual - I never exceed manual specs.)

Will not quote the exact number of grains beyond my unconfirmed belief that it was a hair above 5 grains of 231 and a max load - strangely, Lee listed the same starting and max load. Anyway, it chronoed exactly at 800 FPS for a PF of 204 and it matched the Lee manual's predicted velocity out of my STI Edge. I did not venture as high as Jeff as far as PF. My loads (OK - Lee's load) was not fun to shoot  but it will take Pins off a table just fine.

The reason I've heard to go to an extra-heavy bullet in .45 ACP was not for more power, but less recoil. Load a 255-gr. RNFP originally intended for the .45 Colt into a .45 ACP casing, and anything over 650 fps will make Major at 165. This results in an EXTREMELY soft shooting load.  You've got to go to a 12-pound recoil spring - or lighter - just to get the gun to cycle. I played around with this idea for awhile a few years ago. Feed reliability was a sometimes thing though I'm sure I could have licked that problem with a bit of experimentation. The reason I abandoned the project was that recoil was TOO light. It was weird, totally alien to all the time I've put in on guns with a decent amount of recoil. To quote Todd Jarrett, "If the gun's not alive in my hands, I can't shoot it."  

I tried the 255 grainers for IDPA. The idea was to get a gentle roll instead of a sharp recoil. I tried Clays and I also experimented with WST. I experienced the same thing as Duane. The gun was sluggish, and at 165 PF the slide would barely function with a 16 lb recoil spring and it wouldn't even go to slide lock. I now shoot 230 grainers in IDPA just because of tradition. When I shoot L10 I use the good old 200 SWC.

My original thought was to play around in the revolver class.  Figured cycle speed was not an issue, and the revolver would feed fat/flat lead better than my non-ramped .45

I just wanted to see what I could mix up with stuff on hand, rather than to start getting into new powders.  I'll just start low and work up from there.  Maybe with some Titegroup.

Duane,

I shoot BNWC through my revolver because of their accuracy and the fact that the sharpish shoulder cuts a clean hole in paper. They do hang on the shoulder with speed-loaders but with the Safariland JetIII's they can be successfully used by approaching the cylinder with the Jet at a slight angle so that one cartridge slots into the cylinder. With a tilt of the wrist the rest will slot into place. This works because the jets hold the cartridges firmly in place at the correct diameter for the cylinder.

Works for me.

Button Nose Wad Cutter - It's a wadcutter with a small flat button on one end but with a sharply defined shoulder. In 138 gr it's very popular for our Service Match which is a slightly more difficult version of PPC.

If BamBam is looking at shooting the 255's through a 45ACP revolver it would probably be a S&W 625-2 with moon clips which I think also hold the cartridges in an aligned postion.

The 4" 625 mountain gun is right.  I also heard the hot ticket was to chamfer the back of the cylinders some to make easier entry for the moon clips.

I love the idea of some form of SWC to cut that sharp .45 inch hole.