Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with 9mm Minor Production Loads for XD 5"

XDNut

Ok, so my post last night about the XD 9MM problem I was having came down to my loads not the gun. I have set up to take next Thursday (12th) off from work and head to the range with both of my XD 9mm 5" Tacticals and run up a bunch of loads for accuracy and over the Chrono for PF checking. What I was thinking was if anybody has any pet loads for 9mm production I would work them up and run them and post the results next Thursday night.

This is what I have on my bench right now so lets limit the loads to these powders.

Clays

WSF

N320

N340

I will be loading on a Dillon Super 1050 with Redding dies.

I have 8000 Zero 125 Gr JHP so lets limit the loads to those. I will be using WSP primers, and mixed brass. Please include in the load the powder, OAL, and crimp. I will load 30 to 50 of each and will be running them through both my XD 9mm Tactical with a Barsto match barrel, and my son's XD 9mm Tactical with a Pistol Gear Match Barrel. I will run 10 rounds of each load through the Chrono through each gun and then check accuracy from 25 yds on a sand bag rest.

I really want to find that perfect load for my gun and my sons. The bottom line is also going to be function and reliability of the round. So if you are interested, post your pet load.

Rick

OK - I use 124 MG JHP (similar to your 125s) and Win WSP primers with mixed brass

4.2 gr 231

OAL - 1.12

Don't know the crimp, sorry.

***Edited for typo in the OAL.

Edited by racerba

OK - I use 124 MG JHP (similar to your 125s) and Win WSP primers with mixed brass

4.2 gr 231

OAL - 1.2

You sure that's not 1.12" OAL?

1.2" is a bit long to feed in my

STI TruBor - might not feed in

the magazine of my Browning

Hi-Power, at all, and leaves very

little bit of the bullet in the case.

1.12" sounds a bit better - I load

to 1.16" in the STI.

Jack

I don't have an exact load to give you, but I can probably shorten your RDT&E time for you. Out of all of your powders, the N320 is where you should concentrate. I would start with a 1.125-1.130 OAL, 3.2 gr of N320, WSP, and a crimp that simply smoothes the mouth of the case to the side of the bullet. Work the charge up to about a 135-140 pf, and note accuracy of the rounds along the way. I would suspect you are going to find that a touch higher pf will result in a more reliable operating firearm and there really isn't that much difference in the way of recoil between a 130pf and 140pf.

I'm not familiar with OAL's for the XD's, but have found very few handguns that wouldn't run a 1.125 OAL 9mm. Once you hit the right pf area, if the accuracy isn't there, then start trying longer OAL's in incraments of .005 until the accuracy improves. Lastly, rechrono to determine if you lost any velocity from the added length, if any probably not enough to worry about.

Hope that helps.

I don't have an exact load to give you, but I can probably shorten your RDT&E time for you. Out of all of your powders, the N320 is where you should concentrate. I would start with a 1.125-1.130 OAL, 3.2 gr of N320, WSP, and a crimp that simply smoothes the mouth of the case to the side of the bullet. Work the charge up to about a 135-140 pf, and note accuracy of the rounds along the way. I would suspect you are going to find that a touch higher pf will result in a more reliable operating firearm and there really isn't that much difference in the way of recoil between a 130pf and 140pf.

I'm not familiar with OAL's for the XD's, but have found very few handguns that wouldn't run a 1.125 OAL 9mm. Once you hit the right pf area, if the accuracy isn't there, then start trying longer OAL's in incraments of .005 until the accuracy improves. Lastly, rechrono to determine if you lost any velocity from the added length, if any probably not enough to worry about.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the help. I agree with starting with 1.125-1.130 but the book shows 4.2g of N320 just barely makes 132pf are you sure about starting at 3.2g.

Is there a club near you that shoots USPSA?

If so, there will likely be another XD shooter there that reloads. You might benefit from such an acquaintance.

And, as mentioned, we have quite a few XD shooters here on the forum. We have XD threads that you can search for that will prove to be a great source of information for you, and we have a dedicated 9mm section in the main Reloading area.