Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ben Stein Expelled

Micah

How valuable is faith that requires scientific evidence? How valuable is scientific evidence that requires faith?

Not very valuable. My faith requires no evidence, that's why it's FAITH. Scientific evidence that requires faith.... well .... that would be Darwinism! ;)

I listened to the Ben Stein interview on the Bueller, Bueller Edition of Ferris Bueller's Day Off. The part where he analogized Nazi death camps to Darwinism - because of course, religion creates an environment of humanistic tolerance in which atrocities cannot happen.....all I could think, watching this, was, "Ben Stein is one Strange Ranger." :lol:

Well of course evolution happens. I just don't believe in Darwinism. I believe that the more science examines the more we understand that the inexorable truth lies in Intelligent Design. Theory, ..... is not fact. Darwin himself posited that several details of his theory, if proven by future scientific discoveries were untrue, then his whole idea needed to be scraped. Well, guess what? The very tenets of Darwin's theory have been blasted in the last 50 years. Here we are 150 years later and they are still teaching a THEORY as if it is a fact. Well, it's not called Darwin's Fact. I don't mind schools exploring any theory, but to do so in such a manner as to exclude all possible alternatives is indoctrination. As for me and my house........PM me. I'm out. :)

Well of course evolution happens. I just don't believe in Darwinism.

How are you defining “Darwinism” and how in your opinion does it differ from evolution?

I believe that the more science examines the more we understand that the inexorable truth lies in Intelligent Design.

Could you cite some biological research from reputed journals that falsifies natural selection? Could you cite some research studies from biological journals even attempting to test whether an intelligent designer is at all related to evolution?

Darwin himself posited that several details of his theory, if proven by future scientific discoveries were untrue, then his whole idea needed to be scraped. Well, guess what? The very tenets of Darwin's theory have been blasted in the last 50 years.

This is simply untrue. I would suggest you read Darwin’s book for yourself. Also you might want to watch the PBS series (available at many libraries) on evolution that came out a few years ago. Info here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/

Here we are 150 years later and they are still teaching a THEORY as if it is a fact.

As I wrote earlier. Gravitation is a theory, that gravity takes place is also a fact. Evolution is pretty much the same.

I don't mind schools exploring any theory, but to do so in such a manner as to exclude all possible alternatives is indoctrination.

I’m reminded of this: ;)http://www.theonion.com/content/node/39512

Although the scientist in me appreciates the debate in this thread, I would like to remind the members that it is not the original posters (me) nor Brian's rules that prefer the thread to take this path. This thread was merely created to recommend this film to those that are seeking an interesting perspective on the topic at hand.

Although the scientist in me appreciates the debate in this thread, I would like to remind the members that it is not the original posters (me) nor Brian's rules that prefer the thread to take this path. This thread was merely created to recommend this film to those that are seeking an interesting perspective on the topic at hand.

Here's what wikipedia had to say about the movie and without seeing the film but being fairly schooled in the arguments it sounds about right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expelled

Regardless of the intent in posting it, the topic is hardcore bait for a religion vs. science debate. IMO it’s similar to posting how much you appreciated Fahrenheit 911, and then trying to keep it from devolving into a political discussion. It just isn’t happening. Closing the thread is your only hope.

I like the topic and will willingly discuss it until the cows come home, but I can do that anywhere. This website it come visit to learn about shooting. However when the topic is brought up and I see something stated as true, that I know is false, and nobody else is pointing it out, I just can’t help myself.

I feel the exact same way when people try to push the "one" way. Whatever that "only" way happens to be. I could write for hours on this, but what's the point, all any one has to do is google darwin or intelligent design and make up their own minds. :rolleyes:

All any one has to do is google "Antibiotic Resistance" or

"Herbicide Resistant Weeds" and make up their own minds.

ID has no explanatory power for either.

This thread should be closed before it gets divisive.

Glen