Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witness Match rear sight

Ed Robinson

I am thinking of adding a Match to my stable. edit:(I ordered it today,12/2) I owned a standard EAA 40 small frame years ago and traded it for something along the way. Never quite got over how it felt in the hand (kinda like your first girlfriend). I notice they have dropped the supersight in favor of that crap that comes on it now. I really like Henning's new front fibre sight but am wondering about what to do in the rear. I do not like the Millett or any other drop ins. I have a Bomar left over from another project that I'd like to have on it but wondered if there is enough meat in the slide to machine for the Bomar? I saw Hennings poll for a new rear sight but is anything in the works or soon avaliable? What other options are available. Thanks,Ed

Edited by Ed Robinson

I'm no gunsmith but no one else is answering so I'll chime in. I have Milletts and Bomars on several of my autoloaders and have a fondness for both sights. The Bomar certainly looks more robust than the Millett but that may just be appearance alone. I put a Millett on my Match because I didn't want to mill the slide. I think a Bomar would be more difficult. The Bomar's base is only about .36" wide and the dovetail cut on the Match is about .47" so it's not going to be a matter of just enlarging the dovetail slot and milling down the top of the slide to make it fit. If you remove the existing dovetail slot (.17" deep) by milling you'll run out of slide to cut your new dovetail into. The only I way can see to do it is to fill the existing slot by welding and start over to cut a new dovetail to fit the Bomar. Alternatively you could use the Bomar BMCS sight which was made with a flat bottom (no dovetail) and then mill the top of the slide flat (removing the existing dovetail) and install the sight as Bomar intended using silver solder or screws to attach the sight to the slide. Bomar is long out of business so a BMCS flat sight may be hard to come by but you could modify the sight you have on hand by removing the dovetail base and, effectively, create a flat bottom sight. The BMCS flat sight also required you to drill and tap a hole (6/48 thread) into the top of the slide for the elevation screw on the sight. One other thing to consider: no one seems to make a taller front sight for the Witness: if your installed Bomar is taller than the original LPA sight you're going to have to manufacture a new front sight.

One of my 1911s has a Bomar melted into the slide and it makes for a really nice sight picture. A Bomar on a Witness would be a very interesting project. Please provide photos when you're done. Good luck. Dave.

Edited by ammodave

Thanks Dave. I emailed Rich at Canyon Creek and basically got the same response. He said he would weld up the existing slot and remill the slide for the Bomar. I prefer the Bomar because thats whats on my 1911's and I prefer the sight picture and plane of the lo mounted Bomar to the Millett. Thanks for your response.

I muich prefer fixed sights over adjustable, but, that's me. When Henning makes his I hope he makes snag free. I hate doing clearance drills with my Stock II and ripping my hand open. Something like an adjustable Novak would work awesome for me.

Anyone try the fixed "tactical" sight on their Limited. I'm tired of dealing with the pins walking and breaking on mine.

I remember Brian or someone else shooting for EAA got so tired of his rear sight giving him trouble that after he had it zeroed in again he went ahead and welded it in position. I guess you could call that a fixed solution. :D