Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Visiting California

Well guys, warpspeed's right (don't rub it in TOO much, ws :P ). Sorry I was a doink about it... I apologize.

According to Nate at the CA DOJ's firearms division at the number I listed above, there's no provision allowing for the use of standard capacity/high capacity mags in CA by out of state residents... IOW, it's "illegal."

As for the AR, he basically said that they ARE allowed, but you have to prove that you're using it at some sanctioned match.

The way I understand it is this: if you're a Californian caught with an (unregistered) AR, go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect two-hundred-dollars; if you've got standard/high capacity mags, you're okay as they can't prove that you didn't have them before the ban (unless they delve deep and find out when you became a resident... after the ban, you're in trouble). Conversely, if you're an out-of-state resident visiting CA, show 'em your license and the AR is a non-issue, but the mags are your ticket to the concrete resort.

The real questions are: how worried are you, how many LEOs know the laws, and how many LEOs enforce the laws?

Anyhoo, there's the straight poop. Again, ws, my bad. We coo? :(

All right. It looks like Shred's question has been answered to the full extent of the.... well the full extent that anyone can figure out! Since the drift of this thread tends towards the ugly, apologists excepted, I am locking it back up.

-ld

Just don't bring any nuts or fruits, we have too many as it is and most of them are on the ballot for the recall election.

Bring your double stack mags, just don't sell them here.

It is ILLEGAL to bring post-ban high caps in for any reason. The guys at Beretta told me they couldn't even get permission to bring that stuff in just to attend a gun exposition. You likely won't get caught, but it ain't worth the risk.

As to the "fruits and nuts" reference, the complete saying is:

California is like granola...... whatevers isn't a flake is either a fruit or nut.