Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I need a part for a.......

bkeeler

I work in the repair industry. I repair pneumatic tools/power tools/air compressors.

I am always getting calls from people for repair parts. What do you need? I need a part for a Bostitch nail gun. Ok what model? I don't know it is a Bostitch. :angry2:

Well guess what Bostitch makes hundreds of nail guns!

This goes with anything you need a part for please have your model numbers ect...........

It is like going to the auto parts store and saying I need a part for a Ford,Chevy, ect..............and not knowing what model vehicle you are driving.

Hey dumb a@# how do I know what you have.

:cheers:

BK

I feel your pain.

I like how I go into the local "Auto parts store" and ask for a part for my 302. They ask me what car its for....I smile and say 65 mustang. They pull it up and proceed to tell me they don't have a listing for a 65 mustang with a 302....no kidding really? Considering it wasn't made then! I have to tell them say, 79 mustang, give me the damn plugs for a 79 mustang...... :angry2: I then write down the PART NUMBER and keep it. Next time I go in I give them the part number...."for what car".... :angry2:

But yeah, I know what you mean. :cheers:

Try getting a 14# radiator cap for a Corvair....Ask for the cap, what,s it for...It,s for a 67 Covair. They don't have radiators! Mine does! No It DOESN'T, YES IT DOES!!!...Just give me the cap...whats it for...A 67 CORVAIR! Don't you just love conversions!! Should have just asked for a cap for a Modeen radiator...what kind of car is that???

400 small block with a Crown conversion in a Corvair!

I know what you mean. My old roommate used to be a parts mgr for Pep Boys Auto. He would have people come in and say they needed a headlight for their truck. He would turn away, grab the 1st headlight and hand it back to them. The customer would say, " will that fit?" and my buddy would reply "how the hell should I know, I don't know what truck you have, you just wanted a headlight for a truck." Most times that would jog the person's cloudy mind to mention what type of truck they had. But sometimes, the person would turn around w/ the unknown headlight and go pay for it and leave. A couple hours later to return because it didn't fit. Go figure! Sometimes you just want to bang your head!!!

You should work in a gun shop.

A guy comes in and wants a magazine for his rifle.

What rifle sir?

A .22!

Any particular make?

One with a 5 shot magazine.

Fair enough, here have this one, it is a ten shot but it will fit! God I so want to do that.

Try asking for parts for a Dodge V10 down here. Brake shoes are nearly impossible.

I sell garage doors and my service department just loves people that go to the big box store and buy "Universal" Springs, Transmitters, keypads etc. I only wish that they existed for real. I could reduce my inventory by 75% or more.

That and the ever popular, I don't the model and I'm not sure how old it is, but you mean you'll charge me to come out and fix it, even if it is just the breaker that needs to be reset. Number one is the person that has a burned out light bulb in an operator and expects a warranty service call to change the light bulb!

Jim

Then there's the other side of the story. Years ago, a friend had an old Ford Station wagon, a 65 I think. We went to buy a new water pump for it and the parts guy told us Ford used 27 different water pumps for the 289 that year! Even having the part number didn't help. We had to take the old one so he could match it up. Another friend had a Ford Torino that came with different sets of wheel bearings for the left and right front wheels!