Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clays powder and non match barrel

lowetlx

I just purchased my second square deal b and setting it up in .40, i use clays for .45 already and not only like it have a large quantity at hand. I would like to use clays to load .40 i have read that the pressures to make major with clays in .40 can be high. Will i run into any saftey issues runing the factory springfield armory barrel in my singlestack. i do not want to risk an exsplosion?

Solo 1000 would be a much better choice for major .40, .45, and minor 9mm........It is a triple threat!

DougC......<been there done that with CLAYS......not so good for major .40......>

I like Clays in 40 and when I dont use Clays, I use VV N320.

Leo

All I run in major 40 is Clays. I have a Schuemann classic barrel and it shoots great.

guys that are running clays what is your recipe. how many grains needed and how long to make major with a 180 grain bullet?

Start at 4.0, chrono up in .2 grain increments, OAL needs to be 1.2" or so, I run 1.23". You MUST ensure that you will not have setback of the bullet, the best way to do that is to use the EGW Undersize die for sizing, minimal belling in the powder step and NO crimp, just flatten the bell out.

Clays, Universal Clays and TiteGroup will all blow your gun up if you have setback of the bullet or an overcharge. You need to mind your loading process, if you do you won't ever have a problem.

I have shot some 20k plus rounds of Clays for 40 major and love the way it shots. There are safer powders out there but if used properly as HSMITH said.....you will not have any problems. I have recently started using Solo 1000 and think it is going to be my new choice since I already use alot of it in 9mm.

Solo works very well with very little smoke under Precision Black Bullets.

I use 4.4 grains of Clays and 4.4 grains of Solo 1000 under MG 180 JHP's. They both make the same pf of 170-172 and feel almost identical. OAL is 1.190"

I tried Clays for 180gr, .40cal major loads and started getting some serious signs of overpressure. Of course, I was tring to make Major in a Glock 22 using jacketed bullets. With Universal I had no problems making 180pf loads with no signs of overpressure (for the life of me, I don't remember why I wanted 180pf loads :rolleyes: ).

I dont think egw makes a die for the square deal b. i will get some glock brass and see if it resizes it properly.

Regardless of the sizing die you use, you must test to see if there is enough neck tension to prevent bullet setback. Load a round, measure it carefully, and then press the bullet tip of the loaded round against a flat surface. Not hard enough to deform the bullet, though. Remeasure the OAL to be sure the bullet has not moved back into the case. As has already been stated emphatically, ANY bullet setback can cause major issues with these loads.

Regardless of the sizing die you use, you must test to see if there is enough neck tension to prevent bullet setback. Load a round, measure it carefully, and then press the bullet tip of the loaded round against a flat surface. Not hard enough to deform the bullet, though. Remeasure the OAL to be sure the bullet has not moved back into the case. As has already been stated emphatically, ANY bullet setback can cause major issues with these loads.

now i see what you mean by setback. originally i thought it was the round not going in the barrel far enough due to sizing of the case. thanks for the lesson

I have shot some 20k plus rounds of Clays for 40 major and love the way it shots. There are safer powders out there but if used properly as HSMITH said.....you will not have any problems. I have recently started using Solo 1000 and think it is going to be my new choice since I already use alot of it in 9mm.

Solo works very well with very little smoke under Precision Black Bullets.

I use 4.4 grains of Clays and 4.4 grains of Solo 1000 under MG 180 JHP's. They both make the same pf of 170-172 and feel almost identical. OAL is 1.190"

I think I'm going to look into Solo 1000 too for .40 major in my Glock 35. 8lbs for under 100 bones sounds good. I like N320, which is what I currently use but I hate getting donkey raped because it costs too much and it's in and out of stock. As far as .40 minor, I'm going to switch over to Clays, but I'm a bit nervous about shooting .40 major Clays in a Glock. I can load my STI Edge long. Hey bullitt, can you pm me your Solo 9 load?