Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Defensive Shooting vs. Competitive Shooting

sirveyr

Well without getting into the debate of defense v.s comp and their differences I can see the quandry here. I say that b/c I recently saw a show on defensive focus training. My mind began to think how different it was from IPSC/IDPA shooting training. Am I messing myself up by trainingg for competiition and is a combat class that different from a competition class? Then I heard somehting that began to make sense to me. The concept was that a new shooter with no experience at all could become proficient fairly quickly. "This isn't competition shooting."

The way I took the above referenced paraphrased observation was akin to "train like you fight." Competition shooters train for competition. They move and shoot as fast and as accurately as possible. That is how I train and I hope that is how I would fight when my instincts kick in should the worst ever happen. If I did not compete or train to compete at all then my instincts would be different and I would look for another way to program them accordingly. The goal still being speed and accuracy.

Now you gotta take the above comments while looking at the larger picture b/c sometimes the best defense is in fact a quick retreat. Competition offers no retreat so just blasting around a corner may not be what you wanna do if you don't need to. However if I am required to do it I wanna do it exactly like the top IPSC GM's and IDPA Masters do it. Otherwise I am gonna camp and wait to for the cavalry to arrive, hopefully the bad guys will leave even sooner.

Fast and accurate whenever you need to draw and pull the trigger in a gunfight. Slow and deliberate at all other times before you draw and fire in the gunfight. That is the difference to me b/c I train to compete. I feel 100% confident that training for competiition will make you a better able to defend yourself in any scenario. Just remember b/c you are a IPSC/IDPA/[insert other competition discipline here] shooter doesn't mean you have to act like a swat ninja when the opportunity arises.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am by no means an expert shooter, ( and will never be, because I feel you can always learn something new). But, I am a combat vet of OIF and have trained with some interesting units.

A few weeks ago, I shot an IDPA match at our indoor club (most guys like the USPSA & Steel shoots better). The RO was instructing us on "slicing the pie" and engaging some targets that were further out and then working our way to the closer targets.

Myself and another shooter (who is a local PD SWAT sniper) were a bit perplexed. I was always taught to engage the closest threat first with 2 quick shots, then proceed to the furthest (with 1 or 2 shots, depending on the distance). This elminated the immediate threat who had a better chance of engaging you and left some time for the further threat (who probably isn't a good shot and wouldn't hit you from distance...hopefully). This was how I was trained. I turned to my fellow shooter from the SWAT team and he nodded in agreement with me in how we SHOULD engage the targets.

So, while I agree that IDPA & USPSA do teach some very good principles, I am not entirely convinced that style shooting is truly "defensive" shooting.

I do agree that a combination of defensive & comp shooting is the best mix, and that both camps can learn an awful lot from each other.

Just thought I'd add a little. Again, I am all for the sports and agree it will teach ALOT about shooting on the move, under pressure, etc.

z-

Edited by zipper046

So, while I agree that IDPA & USPSA do teach some very good principles, I am not entirely convinced that style shooting is truly "defensive" shooting.

It's a game. Most of the participants understand that. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

But from practicing for and playing that game, you can dramatically improve your shooting skills.

• 1 month later...

It's a game. Most of the participants understand that. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

But from practicing for and playing that game, you can dramatically improve your shooting skills.

+1. USPSA Limited/Production shooting is a useful way to hone one's firearms skills if one is in law enforcement or a CCW holder, but can't be confused with true tactical type training. One has to keep the distinction clear. My regular forays into matches with my STI Edge has improved my proficiency with my duty pistol, which I admittedly don't shoot as often as I should. But; I'm able to make the mental switch between gaming and "non gaming" scenarios. USPSA shooting is a good training tool which is fun as hell. :cheers:

DVC