Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Higher grain better?

saibot

I was telling a friend that I was consistently shooting high with my M&P FS9 and he gave me some advice about my grip/stance/ammo that seemed to have fixed it. I'm not sure which part did the trick but I went from the 115 to 124 grain bullets and I see they are available in 125 and 147 grain as well. What is the difference? What are the pros and cons and which is best for IPSC?

Thanks!

If reloading your own bullets, you can come up with a recipe that suits you. from my experience using one brand/type of powder, the 115 recoil is sharp but the sights return quick, the 147 recoils soft but the sights return slower and the 124/125 is in between the 115 and 147. Switch to a different powder and you can change the feel for all 3.

The feel from commercially available rounds should be about the same but I've never done a back to back comparison ever since I started reloading.

• 4 weeks later...
If reloading your own bullets, you can come up with a recipe that suits you. from my experience using one brand/type of powder, the 115 recoil is sharp but the sights return quick, the 147 recoils soft but the sights return slower and the 124/125 is in between the 115 and 147. Switch to a different powder and you can change the feel for all 3.

Shooting is the sport. Reloading is the hobby. Switching to different bullets and powders can change everything that affects your shooting. Some of the fun of "Reloading Your Own" is finding your "right" recipe. I started my 9mm 115 gr on W231, then went to Bullseye for a while. After a year of shooting back to W231 and very happy with it. .40 (180 gr) is another story, W231, then to Bullseye, but not thrilled , the tried what others where using (Titegroup) and now wont use anything else. My advice is keep detailed records of everything you do, including POI at various distances, outside temp. etc. Check out the reloading section here on the Forum.

Larry P

Shooting is the sport. Reloading is the hobby.

Larry P

Holy Moly Batman! The Zen is strong with this one. :surprise: