Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Divsion Guns

Bucky

Hi Vince:

On my squad was one guy with a Universal Speed Holster. I personally witnessed a couple of guys with CR Speed rigs.

The point I wish to make is if we're going to be concerned with the overall cost of certain modifications like "excessive polishing" then why aren't we concerned about high dollar...non practical holsters?

It would make "perfect" sense to be to keep Production Division as the one true "carry gun" division in IPSC. You don't have to have a holster list...just a requirement that no "race gun type" holsters be used.

I know that when I switch from USPSA to IPSC rules when I compete in Standard Division as far as holster placement is concerned...my draw gets FASTER. Don't know why...maybe my hand falls in a more natural place then when the gun is forward of the hipbone? :huh:

We need a true carry gun type division if we're going to draw shooters interested in that realm of competition. I would go as far as to say in the U.S. that Limited 10 division holster criteria should mirror the U.S. version of Production Division. In the U.S. at least then we would have two "free for all" divisions in Open and Limited and two "carry gun" divisions in L10 and Production. Something for everyone...shooters and sponsors alike.

I don't see the logic in severely restricting the modifications you make to the gun but let in the latest whiz-bang "speed holster" that certainly isn't suitable for daily C.C.W. use.

500 dollar shoes huh.....gotta get me some of those ! :wacko:

I got some weird looks/questions at the USPSA Factory Gun Nationals. I was shooting my Glock in Limited 10...with my "race holster" and gear all moved forward. I am nearly positive that people, mistakenly, assumed I was shooting Production (no magwell on my Glock...or anything else that wouldn't be Production legal).

(chuck...not saying that was what happened with you...just relating my experience.)

It is normal and natural for competitors in any division to seek the most advantageous gear up to the letter of the law...That's not an equipment race, that's competitive nature.

I think we're kidding ourselves if we think that allowing/disallowing certain trigger jobs/mods is going to drive new shooters away.

Production is popular because it allows cop-like guns shooting (my beloved) wussy 9 loads to be competitive.

I say if the gun is safe, let it compete. Whos' gonna look for excessive polishing?

(And Flex and I have both had faster draws from our production rigs than our fancy-ass race gear...could be a redirection of focus on fundamentals. My money is more on position...my open draws have become more consistent as I have moved the CR speed closer to the hem of the pants.)

Thinking of the average shooter at our club, they are pleased to be outside pulling the trigger on a nice day. We have several lim-10 guys who have 7-8 rd mags and they just shoot...

It may be smarter to let the newbies shoot in a NEWBIE class that allows everything short of dots and comps just to let 'em taste the sauce...

Off topic a little...

SA

Flex:

IPSC and USPSA rules regarding holster position in IPSC Standard Division vs. USPSA Limited/Limited 10 division host a day and night difference.

That same day and night difference exists in Holster legality in Production Division.

Just to set the record straight and eliminate ALL possible confusion...the people I stopped and spoke to as well as a friend of mine that used the Universal Speed Holster for his Glock (in my squad no less) were IPSC Production Division registered competitors.

Not to mention that I saw the same type of equiptment at this years IPSC Canada Ontario Provincial Championships.

No "mistaken identity" here. All the T's crossed and all the I's dotted.

Now back to the matter at hand...why worry about a 200 dollar trigger job and not raise concerns with a 150 dollar plus race holster ?

AFAIK, IPSC production has no holster restrictions. If you have a G17, the trigger must be 5 lbs., the sights must be stock, the mag can only hold 17, but you are allowed to draw it from a $250 light speed CR rig.

Flex:

No, there is no holster model/brand/design restrictions in IPSC's Prod.Div.

The only restriction is holster placement...at or behind the hipbone.

My question is...If IPSC is concerned about the 200 dollar "trigger job" why are they not as equally concerned about the 150 dollar plus "racegun holster"?

In the spirit (real or perceived) of keeping the costs down for Prod.Div. equiptment...why is one practice frowned upon and the other allowed to exist?

Wouldn't it make more sense ( from a practical/cost effective standpoint) to restrict the holsters that IPSC Prod.Div. competitors can use to a 29 to 69 dollar holster manufactured by companies like Blade-Tech or Fobus? :huh:

so a 25 cent polishing job is a no-no but a $250 holster is okay....

Hmm, why don't we provide a financial allowance for the shooters to spend it on what they want? i'll do $75 on my trigger and an inexpensive ky-tac versus the :P $250 holster and 5 lb pull....

The few times I shot production (IPSC) I used an uncle mikes (sort of pancake concealed carry holster). I didn't feel any disadvantage, but wanted a better fitting holster (Uncle mikes "Kydex / plastic", adjustable tension). That is a holster the gun (G17) won't fall out, but it's slick enough on the draw (pleasantly surprised). :D

As I only shoot a couple of matches a year in production, I feel its not worth an expensive holster. Besides production is a division that just doesn't take off in Holland. :unsure: (Divisions: open 30, standard 30, production 4, revolver 3 for a typical match).

And yes this is a very visible item in the equipment race! :wub:

In "Standard" I use a CR-speed (para-ordnance), that's what I shoot most of the time. :D Thats upgrading from Safariland 008 and 009. :ph34r:

John

Guys,

I need to understand this: why is a holster like Hoeppner & Schuemann Speedsec5 (or Universal Speed Holster) to be considered a "Race Holster"?

It safely and securely retains your gun.

When locked (and the locking or not is up to your personal preference) will allow you to jump/dive/run/rock/roll and even to be skyrocketed towards the moon without letting you loose control of your handgun.

It's slimmer and more comfortable than most of the leather holsters I know, and comparable to the best plastic carry holsters you could buy.

It can be worn on your hip with such a variety of possibilities and adjustments that carry holsters do not normally attain.

If this is not enough to decide it is a good carry holster, I really don't understand what this latter should look like.

P.S. the same applies to Ultimate Ghost Holster and some other "Race Holsters" labelled products.