Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newb to the dark side

DanM

:o

So, it looks like I am now the owner of a used Caspian Open gun. Whoo hoo!

I've loaded 9 and 40 but I have ZERO experieance loading .38 Super. I'll order the Dillon dies for my 650 today. I've got a pile of MG 124 CMJs. Should I run .38 Super or .38 SC brass? What powder? OAL? Ack! :(

:o

So, it looks like I am now the owner of a used Caspian Open gun. Whoo hoo!

I've loaded 9 and 40 but I have ZERO experieance loading .38 Super. I'll order the Dillon dies for my 650 today. I've got a pile of MG 124 CMJs. Should I run .38 Super or .38 SC brass? What powder? OAL? Ack! :(

"Should I run .38 Super or .38 SC brass?" You need to run brass that your gun will run. Some 38S/SC will run either brass, some guns will not. 38SC is preferred, but slightly more expensive.

"What powder? OAL?" There are many threads on loads for 38S/SC here for powder and OAL suggestions.

"I'll order the Dillon dies" - IMHO forget the Dillion dies. Get a Redding Competition seating die, A Lee U-die (Undersize), Lee FCD (Factory Crimp Die)

Super and super comp use different extractors

what is the gun set up for?

super is easier to find

Jim

It's set up for super. From reading various threads, it sounds like sc might be better. I guess I'll try both and see if it works.

super is easier to find

Jim

It's set up for super. From reading various threads, it sounds like sc might be better. I guess I'll try both and see if it works.

There's also a difference in the shell plate. SC will pop out of the shell plate when you try to seat the primer.

super is easier to find

Jim

There's also a difference in the shell plate. SC will pop out of the shell plate when you try to seat the primer.

Yep---if your loading ONLY SC you use the 223 shellplate. The 223 shellplate serves two purposes; only lets 38SC in and holds 38SC tight.

super is easier to find

Jim

If your gun is setup for SC, I suggest you try the SC loads first before buying 38 Super brass. As mentioned above, some guns with extractor setup for Supercomp will only work for SC and might not work properly for Super.

Supercomp brass are semi-rimless brass, which is smaller in rim diameter than Super.

Congratulations on your new toy, welcome to the world open division :)

Cheers!

+1 on Full Race's die suggestions. Great combination of dies. You won't be dissapointed using them. I have the same setup for my 40 S&W 650 and they work perfectly.

Tommy,

How do you know that 38SC will pop out of a 38 Super die plate? Hee hee.

CYa,

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

+2 on Full Race's die suggestions, the best way to go, Redding Pro Competition seating die, A Lee U-die (Undersize), Lee FCD (Factory Crimp Die)

You can buy the Redding Pro [no Competition in the name] seating die for about $22. It is the same die internally but without the micrometer on top - - saves you about $50. AND if you decide later you want it then you add the micrometer top. If you look for this make sure you are getting the right item as the distributors have a lot of confusion over the names.

I disagree on die choices. The Redding seat die is a trick upgrade, but the micrometer only really helps if you're frequently changing bullet types or something to that effect - it does seem to seat the bullet more consistently, either way. However, the Dillon die set is more than adequate for .38 Super/Supercomp. The press will operate quite a bit easier on the downstroke if you're not using a U-die, and the FCD simply isn't required - you won't be running any bulged Glock brass or anything like that. I find the seat die adequate, but will be getting a Redding in the future. I've loaded a bunch of ammo with Dillon dies in Super, with nary a problem related to the dies (my operation of the press is another matter sometimes).

I do use the U-die/FCD combo for .40, however...

I use a .223/Supercomp shell plate in the 550 for the reason FullRace mentions above - it rejects regular Super, so I don't have to be completely perfect about sorting out practice/range brass.