Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Concealed Carry Laws

When in doubt, remember that the title of the license is "CONCEALED" if it is truly concealed, baring a real need to expose it, you will likely never have a problem. That is not legal advice, merely an observation.

Walk into a place where you are unsure, properly concealed, you should not have a problem. Walk in with a Desert Eagle outside the waistband wearing a "T" Shirt and, well....

As for being allowed into a place that serves drinks for on-premises consumption, fine, but I can agree 100% that you should not drink. You would not, I hope, drink at the range, or while driving or getting ready to go to the range or...

So why would you want to go to Hooters and get tanked while carrying?

What we really need is a National Reciprocity similar to your Drivers License. My NJ DL allows me to drive in all 50 states. My marriage license does not need to be renewed if I move to another state. My CCW should at the very least be honored in transit and for say a month in state. If you are taking up residence, you'd have to get a new DL, so getting a new CCW should be acceptable, so long as they don't make it harder than getting a state DL and that regardless of how hard their law is, You already have the CCW, not like you were a new applicant.

Again, not legal advise and frankly, I didn'tstay at the Holiday Inn.

Jim

If I remember correctly, you cannot carry in any State in a movie theater, I think that can be contributed to Abe/Booth. It's Federal law.

No carry in movie theaters is FEDERAL LAW? :unsure:

New to me.

If I remember correctly, you cannot carry in any State in a movie theater, I think that can be contributed to Abe/Booth. It's Federal law.

No carry in movie theaters is FEDERAL LAW? :unsure:

New to me.

I hesitate to suggest that one of our fellow shooters might post an inaccuracy on an internet bulletin board, but I do not believe any such law exists.

Talk to your local PD's pistol lic section and to a LAWYER FIRST before acting on any advice you get here.I say talk to the PD first since they will be the ones responding to see you if they get called reference you carrying your weapon.

I say talk to a lawyer because while many of the people here are knowledgeable and well meaning they may be wrong.

AND ask to see the relavent section of the law in writing for your own peace of mind.

You would not get medical advice from a cab driver so don't take legal advice from guys and gals who may/may not be lawyers.

If I had a dollar for every time I have had someone try to give me their personal interpertation of the penal law.......

Good luck.

JK

I have found it more often than not that a large portion of local LE don't know the CCW laws. I've had to break out the paperwork and show them in writing more than once.

Agreed KGUNZ I have several guys I work with who do not know a lot of the regs dealing with driving to and from matches etc.....

In red I said not to go to the desk officer at the local pct go to the guys who deal with these laws all the time.

I am not claiming that they are firearms law genius and THEY MAY STILL NOT BE CORRECT but they will be the guys who get the calls from the regular pct guy who you run into on the street and they will then act accoring to the advice given.

Consulting with them ahead of time may save you a night in jail.

Its ok to be right but its better to have the law on your side ahead of time.

Even firearms manufacturers and their attorneys make mistakes.

I had a handgun group sale going here (from a company who shall remain nameless) with mostly current LE purchasers. The manufacturer due to a glitch at their factory did not send the officers their high cap mags with the weapon.

When we were trying to straighten this out this companies attorney (who lives in another state) told this company that if they shipped the highcap mags into NYS they would be commiting a class "D" felony.

Totally wrong information.

My point being ...its ok to ask here but don't act on info just because you heard it here, get it in writing from YOUR attorney or from your local sheriff's office, PD.

Another source of info that is generally top notch is the NRA. Call them and they can probably direct you to a firearms laws knowledgable attorney who is from your area.

Good luck.

JK