Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Proper way to clean an M&P

sperman

On my M&Ps I use Cabela's gun oil-soaked wipes to wipe clean all of the critical parts in the frame and slide... since it's gun oil, it lubes as it cleans. After that, a couple drops of Otis solution on a bore snake to clean the barrel, slide glide medium on the rails, trigger bar/sear engagement, face of sear and striker, and firing pin block... then I wipe down the exterior with a silicon cloth, and it's good to go.

Always wondered about sonic cleaners though... seems like it may be a really good way to go.

• 4 weeks later...

Some of the guys over on the M&P site say to NOT use ultrasonic cleaning. Also I checked ALL of the various brake cleaners at my works garage and they all say to not put on plastic. Brake cleaner may be just fine but for $7or$8 I like synthetic safe gunscrubber, Hoppe's #9 and CLP.

I also rigged up a small air dryer to my compressor and blow things out. I guess I am old school because I clean my guns every time I shoot them.

Anyone ever shoot old school black powder back in the day and scrub with dawn and then rinse with boiling water?

This is very unconventional but it works, especially if cleaning multiple guns. Take apart and put in the top rack of a diswasher with your fav dishwashing solution. Run through a full cycle, lube and reassemble. Fastest way I have seen to clean multiple guns at one time.

This is very unconventional but it works, especially if cleaning multiple guns. Take apart and put in the top rack of a diswasher with your fav dishwashing solution. Run through a full cycle, lube and reassemble. Fastest way I have seen to clean multiple guns at one time.

And you want to chance health problems for your family, from lead, unburned powder etc, just to speed up cleaning a firearm?

That's just plain DUMB.

Edited by RePete

And you want to chance health problems for your family, from lead, unburned powder etc, just to speed up cleaning a firearm?

That's just plain DUMB.

I should have said that the gun and gun parts are the ONLY thing in the dishwasher at the time. No dishes, silverware, etc in there at all. The only other thing I have ever done like that is a baseball cap or two in there at the same time. All contamination goes down the drain along with the rest of the dirt. Heck, the crap that comes outa one of my baseball caps has got to be nearly as bad!! :rolleyes:

That's just plain DUMB.

I should have said that the gun and gun parts are the ONLY thing in the dishwasher at the time. No dishes, silverware, etc in there at all. The only other thing I have ever done like that is a baseball cap or two in there at the same time. All contamination goes down the drain along with the rest of the dirt. Heck, the crap that comes outa one of my baseball caps has got to be nearly as bad!! :rolleyes:

I realise that, but it's the residual stuff that remains.

I do my BB caps in the washing machine using a form.

Dishwashers are for dishes and should remain so.

So, you are saying I shouldn't have used my dishwasher to clean my jeeps transfer case a few years back? It worked like a champ, the (now ex) wife was a bit peeved, but oh well. :roflol:

With slide , barrel and All ?

So, you are saying I shouldn't have used my dishwasher to clean my jeeps transfer case a few years back? It worked like a champ, the (now ex) wife was a bit peeved, but oh well. :roflol:

That's why she's the ex. :roflol:

+1 for the simple green/hose off technique. It really works.

GT

Hey Tc 99, I use that source at my job, side note. I am amazed and interested about the simple green/water usage for cleaning the M&P's. I must try, can you give me your directions on the do and do-

nots? And you actually let the water go right into the slide/frame components internals without any problems or risks to parts or reliability? sounds quick and clean.

With slide , barrel and All ?

Yes. I have only used this techique a couple of times when I had over half dozen handguns to clean at one time. Normally I clean at my bench one at a time, after each use.

Steve