Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unique Tek

So, I have been reading about how some of you love "Micrometer Powder Bar Kit" I wanted to know if you guys had any thoughts about the: 2X Powder Hopper Tube, Dillon 550/650 Toolhead Clamp Kit, and the Light-Load Shellplate Illuminator.

I use several of Uniquetek's gadgets on my 550: Mic. Powder Bars, Hopper baffle, Turbo Bearing, Toolhead clamp Kits. These seem to "tighten the machine" up really well but I'm not really sold on the clamp kits. First let me say that 80% of my loading is for cowboy action and informal paper target shooting. The rest is for accuracy with the 1911 in 45ACP. The stock tool head is plenty stable and tight just as Dillon makes it and I have found that a very little wiggle room is good anyway. When I'm running reasonably fast with 45 ACP, the machine will occasionally hang up on a case top in the decap/prime station when using a tool head with the clamping kit installed...Soooo for my 45ACP's I use a stock tool head. The Mic. Powder Bars are great (!!) and, combined with Uniquetek's turbo bearing on the shell plate, I think my seating and charges are more consistant. I do not use the 2X hopper tube but I do use their powder baffle. The standard Dillon tube holds enough powder to load anything I want in a single session and I believe the baffle might help keep the powder from compressing with a full tube. As far asa the shell plate illuminator...I use a small goose neck lamp mounted to my strong mount behind station 3...If you have a 650 just buy the Dillon Powder Check.

I'm a gadget sort of guy...but, while I think these products work well, I also think Dillon does a great job with their machines just as they are and when It comes down to brass tacks maybe I'd be better off saving the money and buying more powder, primers, bullets and such :P

That's my story and I'm Stickin to it :cheers:

So, I have been reading about how some of you love "Micrometer Powder Bar Kit" I wanted to know if you guys had any thoughts about the: 2X Powder Hopper Tube, Dillon 550/650 Toolhead Clamp Kit, and the Light-Load Shellplate Illuminator.

The micrometer powder bar is awesome, the powder hopper is excellent, the toolhead clamp kit helped eliminate a couple of thousanths of COL variations. The shellplate illuminator is a waste...

I had a extra hopper and just J-B Welded it on top of another one with the baffles in opposing directions. I was loading 300 win. mag. and got tired of filling it every 100 rds. I did that years ago and never had a problem with variation.

Edited by rick t

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The micrometer powder bar is awesome, the powder hopper is excellent, the toolhead clamp kit helped eliminate a couple of thousanths of COL variations. The shellplate illuminator is a waste...

I second all of the above. I like the toolhead clamp (650), and can't live without the micrometer power bar.

The illuminator is a joke. The first one was defective, and the second one was just too dim and narrow to be worthwhile. Spend the effort on improved overhead light, or even just a clamp-on lamp.

Anyone own their Uniquetek digital scale? The one that goes to .02gr increments?

• 2 weeks later...

I second all of the above. I like the toolhead clamp (650), and can't live without the micrometer power bar.

The illuminator is a joke. The first one was defective, and the second one was just too dim and narrow to be worthwhile. Spend the effort on improved overhead light, or even just a clamp-on lamp.

Anyone own their Uniquetek digital scale? The one that goes to .02gr increments?

I tried the digital scale and sent it back. It was to sensitve to air movement etc. On the plus side; no hassle to return it for a full refund, which is why I keep purchasing their various products. Good people.