Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major In Limited?

Bear1142

No more info needed, thanks.

I was only pointing out that, according to IPSC rules, the listed load doesn't make major in Standard division.

I understand you are playing by slightly different rules in the U.S., and I don't want to debate who's right or wrong, it is not my intention, but still for the rest of us that commercial load doesn't make major.

jhgtyre, my guess is that skywalker is talking about IPSC major, which is 170+PF, which is BTW an interesting point. IPSC lowered the Open major PF to 160 to "allow" 9x19mm shooters to make major. This seems to indicate that, at least in IPSC, there were never any plans to allow 9x19mm to score major in Standard.

I agree that it is strange that you can make major in USPSA with a 9x19 in open and not in limited, since the PF is the same.

Skywalker & all,

Sorry for the confusion, I was thinking in terms of 38 Super (in all its derivations) and not Major 9. While I agree with there is a slight advantage with the capacity, you still have to run 147's at 1,125 to make major. I haven't done it and I may out of curiousity, but I don't think thats as soft a load as people think. If you run anything smaller (bullet weight), you need some pretty stout velocities. Try running one you your super loads out of a gun without a comp., its a noticeable difference. I don't think it would be the advantage people think and how often do you see a 21 or 22 round stage where you'd gain a significant advantage by not reloading, very seldom. I don't think I'd really be giving up anything to a super with the extra 3 rounds and I don't think it would be softer than my current 40/ Lim. gun setup. Having said all that, I still would like to see it legalized. There are a lot of people who would like to only have to load one caliber to shoot both open and limited.

Sorry about that. I thought the 165 number was for everybody. Still I got that data from Vihtavouri and it is the first place I looked. I can always extend the search. I am pretty sure that Cor-Bon makes ammo that would hit the 170pf but I don't have time to look it up just yet. I will check later.

-ld

Well the Cor-Bon stuff does not make it. The other published data I checked also fails to make it. I should have quit looking when I found what I wanted, for the USPSA power factor, on the VV website! :(

I have some hot loads that I used to shoot out of my open .38 super but I am thinking they would be overkill in my limited .38 super. I don't need to generate all that extra gas to make a comp work. I have some N320 and some WST that might be less gassy than the 3N37.

-ld

Skywalker,

That load is used in a ton Glocks, Beretta, Sig's etc. The use of proper ammo in a gun is the shooters responsibility. The USPSA BOD made a good choice when they decided to stay out of the "this ammo is safe and that isn't debate." What's next chrono and pressure testing. Most of the Open loads and a lot of .40 SW loads are over SAAMI max. SAAMI specs are used for worst case in the junk guns.

Bear,

Major 9, .38 super in a limited gun is a lot different than .40. I don't think it would any advantage other than the extra 2-3 rounds. The .40 is still softer and quicker sight return.