Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 17rnd mag springs

kamann

So, the last couple of matches shooting my 34 in Production, I had a couple of FTF's with a couple of my mags. The round was wanting to stick straight up in the mag, causing my slide to stay back. The mags in question are all about 2 1/2 yrs. old, and i've disassembled all of them once for a cleaning. The 12 I have are all 17rnd and i've never had a problem with them untill I took them apart, and I load and unload at matches and store them empty. I'm wondering if I did something wrong putting them back together, although it's a fairly straight foward process I thought. Only thing I can think of is when pushing the spring back into the mag with the floor plate, I sensed the spring was sliding backwards against the inside of mag, if that makes sense. Or in other words, the inside bottom of the floorplates are smooth allowing the spring to slip around on them slightly. Did I screw something up here or do they only go back together one way? You just push the spring in with the floorplate, then slide the baseplate back on, with the little floorplate nub snapping into place with the baseplate hole? The followers all look fine, and the other 10 seem to work just fine, but thought I would ask in case I did do something wrong. If I need to replace the springs with new ones, which ones are best, Glock OEM, ISMI, or Wolff? Thank you.

The only thing I'd check is that the springs are snapped into the followers correctly. When looking at the springs, it's pretty obvious which end attaches to the follower. But it is possible to fail to get the follower seated completely in the spring. But if that checks out, I'd change a couple springs to see if the problem goes away for those mags.

Sounds like we have very similar setups. I have 17 hi-caps reserved for matches, all with the original springs. All have been taken apart a least once and all are still running fine. When finally I change 'em out, I'll stick with stock Glock springs.

On the other hand, I have six used 10-rounders that I use twice a week and change the springs out every year or so. I've also had to mix and match followers of different styles to get them to run at 98%.

The only time I've ever had the particular type of problem you mentioned, the follower wasn't attached properly, IIRC.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Curtis

Hmm, the followers are snapped in ok, i made sure of that.

Other thing i thought of is maybe my slide outran the mags, the recoil spring is 13lb ISMI and passes the vertical test, and the spring is not that old.

Mitch i mic'd the feed lips and think i might see a problem. At the back they mic at .334, and then at the front they mic'd at .341. I'm not sure what the specs are supposed to be, and are they supposed to be same front to back?

I've been using the same 17 rounders for the last 10 years. I change the springs about every 3 years. I did learn something at a recent Glock match. Followers are specific to magazine bodies. I had some magazines with the #3 follower and some with the #5 follower. The armorer told me the #3 follower would not work in the magazine with the #5 follower. He changed my 10 coil spring with a "new" 11 coil spring. Haven't tried them yet, let's hope they work.

Seiichi

Hmm, the followers are snapped in ok, i made sure of that.

Other thing i thought of is maybe my slide outran the mags, the recoil spring is 13lb ISMI and passes the vertical test, and the spring is not that old.

Mitch i mic'd the feed lips and think i might see a problem. At the back they mic at .334, and then at the front they mic'd at .341. I'm not sure what the specs are supposed to be, and are they supposed to be same front to back?

Sounds like you may have found the problem. Should be the same front to back. BTW, I have never changed my mag springs in 2 years of use.

Caliber Models Reccomended Spacing - Inches Reccomended Spacing - MM

9x19 17, 17L, 18, 19, 26, 34 .325 - .335 8.26 - 8.51

.40 S&W 22, 23, 24, 27, 35 .360 - .370 9.14 - 9.40

.357 Sig 31, 32, 33 .360 - .370 9.14 - 9.40

10mm 20, 29 .370 - .380 9.40 - 9.65

.45 acp 21, 30 .425 - .435 10.80 - 11.05

... i've never had a problem with them untill I took them apart...

...I'm wondering if I did something wrong putting them back together...

Seems likely.

Ok, i'll take all the sugestions here and get it figured out then. Thanks to all.