Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147gr load in Carbine slower than in Pistol ?

HHjr

OK guys and gals ..... riddle me this .....why would a load run slower thru a carbine than a pistol ?

Today I ran a new 147gr Zero load over a chronograph and the recorded velocities averaged 50fps LESS in a Colt R6450 than in my Colt Govt. I was shocked. Here is the load data:

147gr Zero

3.2 Ramshot Competition

1.135" OAL

WSP

70 degrees

Rifle was a stock Colt Carbine, Pistol was a old 1980's 1911 w/ a new 14# recoil spring. I ran this load over two different chrono's and a friend shot it through his G34. Velocities around 880 through the pistols and 825 in the carbine. The load felt very soft and would be a great bunny load for minor.

The other day I posted results on this forum with a 124gr Frontier bullet thru these same two guns and recorded 75+fps faster in the carbine as I would expect. This is my first attempt at trying 147gr 9's.

A friend with me at the range helped me fire and record these results. Is the load just running out of gas in the carbine ? Maybe a slower powder ?

Harold H.

Faster burning powder can cause that. If the powder is burnt in the first 8 inches of the barrel- all of the length past that is just friction. This is the case with a lot of .45 ammo. My old Marlin Camp carbine sent 230 ball about 60 fps slower than my 1911.

HI Vegas thanks for the comment. ..... I am suspecting that this combination of bullet/powder did indeed run out of gas as you indicate. The lighter bullet does not. I have some N340 I could try for Carbine dedicated loads. OR, just save my 124gr Frontier load for Carbine and run this 3.2gr RS Comp and the 147gr Zero for the pistol.

H

Edited by HHjr

That's exactly what is happening. That is why I asked you if you ever used Siloutte for your powder. When I ran Competition, the powder would be burnt up well before the bullet was even half-way down the barrel. I switched to Siloutte (Slower powder) and the problems stopped.

I have two carbines in 9mm, one a Ruger PC9 and the other is a CMMG Upper on a Rock River lower. Both will run 125gr - 147gr with fast burning powder at the same or slower than my 9mm handguns. But use a slower burning powder in and around WSF, N330, n340, HS6, HS7etc etc and the results will be much different. I use both my 9mm Carbines with subsonic ammo and suppressors so I tend to be using the faster powders and the heavier bullets.

With the Ruger I found it liked HP38 and N320 over anything else. I have also had good success with Titegroup in the AR Upper.

I was hoping to fond a load that would do me for all the firearms for most of the work required, but as usual I was expecting a little too much.

N320 was the one that worked out best across the board, but not perfect.

• 2 weeks later...
You guys ... thankou for the detailed responses .... I have a lot of N340 and will try a load in that to see how it handles ..... I appreciate your time and experience.

H

Don't suppose you've tried 3N38 ? As per Viht., 1200 fps from a 4" barrel. I'd like to know if your carbine likes that load.

I did try full house loads in the Ruger and the AR with 125gr JHP and N340, WSF, 3N37, N350, HS6, ADI AP100 and 3N38.

Accuracy was eratic, it either liked or severely disliked any particular load. Velocities were magic, up to about 1550fps.

In the Vihtavouri range 3n37 was the better way to go in my Ruger, the AR is designed for Supressed loads and did not like the higher velocities.

The listed load for 1243fps under a 125gr bullet gave 1510-1555 fps in the Ruger, I got about 3" at 100M using the ghost ring sight.

The faster burners and heavier bullets work better all round in my carbines. A freind who also has a Ruger uses Zero 115gr with WSF snd gets 1350fps and it will shoot 2" at 100M with a scope. His is also supressed but he found his rifle worked better at full speed and he puts up with the sonic crack when fired. At 50M from the rifle it sounds like a 1022 with HV ammo.

I have another 16" 9mm Upper coming and want to set this up for full speed loads for goats etc.

I will post when it all gets going.

Edited by gm iprod

• 2 weeks later...